This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New 520, won't pair with HR sensor. Suggestions?

Brand new unit, bought for my BF, and it won't connect to the HR sensor. We've both tried it, I'm sitting here waiting about 10 minutes now, and it just says "connecting", with the spinning circle. Supposed to be a pretty simple process, and it appears to be finding the sensor... it just won't pair. Are we missing a step, or does anyone have any suggestions?

I even tried removing the sensor, re-adding it, and then letting it "search all"... and once it displayed the heart sensor, selected it to pair. So now it just says 'to connect the device, put it on'. Well, its on. Its been on. :confused:
  • Are you wearing the HRM? You need to be wearing it so that it is active.
  • Are you wearing the HRM? You need to be wearing it so that it is active.

Yes, definitely wearing it. I stated I had put it on in my post above.
  • There are no tricks It should pair. Have you tried pairing the monitor with another head unit to verify that the monitor works? Are you able to pair other sensor types to the 520?
  • There are no tricks It should pair. Have you tried pairing the monitor with another head unit to verify that the monitor works? Are you able to pair other sensor types to the 520?

Don't have another head unit to pair with. He was able to pair with cadence and speed sensors with no problem.
  • What kind of HR sensor? Garmin?
  • What kind of HR sensor? Garmin?

It's the one that came with the Edge 520, in the same box, so yes, it's a Garmin.
  • I had trouble at first with my Wahoo heart rate monitor when I first got it. It would freeze up on me, and I finally figured out why. It doesn't perform as well when it's dry, so I started to wet the part of the strap that has the electrodes with warm water before I put it on. Never have problems with it anymore as long as I do that. I also just got a 520 bundle and had no issues with pairing up the heart rate monitor. I don't know if you tried that, but if not, try wetting the strap electrodes before putting it on. The only other thing I can think of is try a new battery. Hope this helps.
  • It's the one that came with the Edge 520, in the same box, so yes, it's a Garmin.

Have you checked the battery?
    If you have a recent Samsung or Sony Xperia phone you can also use those to connect to ANT+ devices to check.
  • Have you checked the battery?
    If you have a recent Samsung or Sony Xperia phone you can also use those to connect to ANT+ devices to check.

It's brand new. Not the battery, we tried replacing it. Guess we are just going to return it. :-(
  • That's interesting because in the bundle the HRM is supposed to be already paired with the edge 520. Did you try calling Garmin?