This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 records power data, but doesn't display

I recently replaced a broken 500 with the 520 -- still trying to figure it out. I use different activity profiles for my road bike, CX bikes and a TT bike. I have a 4iiii Precision power meter [Ant+] on my road bike, and paired it. The 520 records power data [that is, I get complete data on Garmin Connect] but the 520 doesn't display current data -- I configured the Road profile screen for 3second and 30second power. They're just blank through the ride. Further, the 520 beeps when the power meter is activated by rotating crank, but calibration screen doesn't appear. My 500 unit did record these functions.

I have similar issue with the Garmin speed/cadence sensor on my TT bike, but I can deal with that -- the power data do matter to me.

Only sensor that does display [all bikes] is HR -- I happen to be using a 4iiii HR strap, for what it's worth.

Any suggestions?
  • The calibration prompt is disabled by default. To enable it go to Settings for the 4iiis and find the selection under Sensor Details. Sensors need to be connected to the 520 in order to change their settings. That is a difference from the 500.

If the power data is being recorded it should be displayed on the screen. Check that you had selected Power 3s Ave and not Balance. Balance comes first in the selection list. If Power is selected there must be some kind of software corruption.

Is speed and distance not showing for the GSC 10?
  • I have the same issue

I'm using the PowerPod.

I have a . The 520 records power data [that is, I get complete data on Garmin Connect] but the 520 doesn't display current data --
  • What power data fields have you added to your training pages?
  • Got it!

The calibration prompt is disabled by default. To enable it go to Settings for the 4iiis and find the selection under Sensor Details. Sensors need to be connected to the 520 in order to change their settings. That is a difference from the 500.

If the power data is being recorded it should be displayed on the screen. Check that you had selected Power 3s Ave and not Balance. Balance comes first in the selection list. If Power is selected there must be some kind of software corruption.

Is speed and distance not showing for the GSC 10?

Yes, I did select 3sec Balance, 30 sec Balance -- will change it and try tomorrow. THANKS!
  • I also have the same issue

I get all the power data recorded in the saved ride but no power data while riding. It will give me the cadence data though
  • You won't get power balance with a single sided power meter. You need to select a Power field to display the data.
  • I get all the power data recorded in the saved ride but no power data while riding...

If the Edge 520 is recording and saving a data field, then that data field can be displayed on the Edge 520 during the activity.

What data field do you think the Edge 520 is not displaying? How have you configured the data screens on your Edge 520 to display (or perhaps this is the case: not to display) this data field?
  • I believe that there is actually a legitimate issue with the Edge 520 in this area. My default training screen displays both 3 second average power and total ride TSS. I use a Quarq DZero power meter and have zero issues most of the time. However on a few occasions recently I have had situations where mid-ride the 3 second power stops displaying correctly - it displays zero but the ride TSS is correctly increasing.

Last weekend I specifically noticed that this happened when I rode over a rough cattle grate. I'm wondering if this can happen when the power meter drops signal briefly?

The last time this occurred I tried:

* Forcing a zero of the Quarq from the Edge unit
    * Disabling the sensor and re-enabling

But neither of these things fixed the issue. I then pulled the battery out of the Quarq and put it back again but had already stopped my ride. Next time this happens I plan to see if pulling the battery out of the power meter makes any difference without restarting the ride.
  • I have the same issue.  Power is recorded for the ride, but not displayed during. I tried multiple power selection with nothing! I have a Edge 520 plus and Vector 3s pedals. 

• I don''t what the fix is but mine used to display power with my vectors and my stages meters.  It suddenly does not.  so something may have changed with a software update?  thinking about doing a total reset and repairing all my devices.  funny it does record the power data.  I update if reset fixes the bug.