This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Advantage of speed sensor?

I just bought a 520 and am going to buy at least the cadence sensor, since that is one bit of data I like to track. Is there an advantage to getting the speed sensor also? Is the only advantage that if the gps loses it's signal I won't lose speed and distance data? Thanks

Tom
  • If you are thinking about using a GSC10 which works great on the back ,check out the price now. They cost $37 about a year ago and now are $85 on Amazon. Garmin is phasing them out.
  • With my Garmin 810, when I go in a tunnel and lose GPS signal, I lose my speed readout as well. The speed sensor doesn't do anything.
  • That would indicate that your sensor is not paired with the head unit or is not set up correctly.
  • Really? Maybe I'm missing something, but I have always ignored speed and distance on an indoor trainer, because it's meaningless! When you're out on the road, the resistance of air resistance and gradients and rolling resistance means that for a route you ride regularly, you should have a pretty good idea of what you're going to average. On a turbo trainer, when you set the resistance, it will vary the resistance depending on the gear you choose. In a high a gear, it will lower the resistance to accomodate, and in a low gear, it will increase the resistance. But when you're in a high gear, your wheel will be revolving more. I'm a bit out of the scene for a while now though, so perhaps things have changed.