This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 520 navigation problem

Hey folks,

I got a problem with Garmin 520 in navigation. I create routes with Strava.com then upload to Garmin as TCX. All good I go out, start Garmin and choose navigation course and my route. I setup let me know about turns. But here is a problem. Garmin 520 dont give me warnings about turns. Sometimes he did, but mostly not... I contact guys in Czech Rep on Garmin Helpdesk they told me try create course in GarminConnect. I create and send to device, but same problem.

I found on YouTube this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plmr3zSi6CY and this guy got a same problem as me.

Can anybody please tell me where is a problem or if it Garmin will fix this? Because I think this a big problem for navigation/workout computer. I got before Garmin 800 and was fine with navigation. But here is a problem.

Thank you for help or information.
  • Check that turn guidance is enabled.

Go to "Training" -> "Courses" -> "Course Options". Here "Turn Guidance" needs to be enabled.
  • Check that turn guidance is enabled.

Go to "Training" -> "Courses" -> "Course Options". Here "Turn Guidance" needs to be enabled.

I have this setup enable. Problem is Garmin alerts me only for few, not for all turns. :(
  • Edge 800 uses routable map and is designed to navigate. Edge 520 is not and sideloaded map won't work like that. The turn warnings on 520 does not rely on route file as such but edge calculates turn warnings based on sharpness of turns. This feature at best works pk but often doesn't. I don't personally find it a problem to look on map. Alternatively make routes on plotaroute.com where you can insert turn warnings
  • The 520 is looking at the shape of the path taken by the course to decide if it should warn you of a turn. TBT instructions are generated by the Edge when the path direction changes through an angle that the Edge considers a turn. It is not using a routable map to find turns in the road.

You can add course points to a file to inform you of turn if the site you are using to build the course file supports this.

There is a separate control for enabling course point notification. If you add course points for turn notification then I would suggest switching off the Edge generated TBT instructions otherwise you get double notification for some turns.

The Edge 520 reports a course point as you pass over those coordinates so the notification might be a little too late to act upon. Some site allow you to add course point warnings. You can also add course point data fields to a training page so that you can see how far away you are from the next point.
  • Some site allow you to add course point warnings.

plotaroute.com has this feature and you can set how far before the turns that it gives you the alert.
  • Hey guys. I have a question about Edge 520. Do i still get turn by turn navigation on my route transferred from computer if i replace basemaps with openstreetmap on the garmin device?
  • This is now the second thread that has been hijacked by majstr.
  • plotaroute is an excellent resource for mapping courses. Here's an example of the .txc output for a turn warning 100ft from its turn. plotaroute generates an associative coursepoint for every coursepoint (with a turn).

<CoursePoint>
        <Name>100ft:Turn</Name>
        <Time>2021-04-10T03:46:13Z</Time>
        <Position>
            <LatitudeDegrees>40.41955433569081</LatitudeDegrees>
            <LongitudeDegrees>-75.72451157832132</LongitudeDegrees>
        </Position>
        <PointType>Right</PointType>
        <Notes>100 ft - Long Ln.</Notes>
    </CoursePoint>
    <CoursePoint>
        <Name>Long Ln.</Name>
        <Time>2021-04-10T03:47:33Z</Time>
        <Position>
            <LatitudeDegrees>40.41977</LatitudeDegrees>
            <LongitudeDegrees>-75.72429</LongitudeDegrees>
        </Position>
        <PointType>Right</PointType>
        <Notes>Long Ln.</Notes>
    </CoursePoint>

• Having big problems myself with navigation seems to completely loose itself and have to resort to other phone apps like kamoot.

• Try the following settings for a 520. I've not had any problems with RWGPS created TCX files.

Go to training>courses and load your course. In your Activity Profile check that under Map settings, Guidance text is turned on. (Leave training>courses>course options>turn Guidance=off). Under course settings make sure Course Points = on otherwise no turn by turn cues will be generated.

That should give you a prompt shortly before each turn based on the information embedded in the TCX file.