This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 25 courses

Just trialled my edge 25 this weekend.

Courses seem to be a bit hit & miss. Creating routes on garmin connect is the only way I can get a route onto the edge25. Then you can view the map & details of the route. However when I try to follow the route the unit crashes & restarts.

I've tried putting gpx tracks & tcx into the root folder 'New Folder' similar method to 500/800 edge but this has no effect & route isn't loaded.

The only way it seems to work is to follow a route previously recorded on the device. That does seem to work well however not useful for new routes.

Anybody have a work around as without that functionality it's a deal breaker for me:(
  • I believe that the Edge 25 only accepts courses put on it using the FIT file format.

Garmin Connect delivers the courses built there in FIT file format.

If you build a course else where you will need to use a tool or an Edge that does support the other formats to convert it to FIT.

Both these tools will convert a tcx file to FIT

TCX Converter - http://tcxconverter.com/TCX_Converter/TCX_Converter_ENG.html

JaVaWa RTWtool - http://www.javawa.nl/rtwtool_en.html
  • Ok thanks for the info. Converting into .fit & then adding to device seems to work fine.

I was having issues with Garmin Connect courses which should have synced in the FIT format already. I think this may have been addressed in the software update v2.3.

I've installed the update & everything seems good. I am yet to try syncing from Connect courses.
  • Upload .gpx/.tcx in edge 25 - future development ?

Just a suggestion - would be nice if Garmin allowed us to directly upload tcx/gpx files without having to pass by an intermediate convertere to fit file...
    Could that be added to the list for future versions of software ?

Thanks !
  • Ok thanks for the info. Converting into .fit & then adding to device seems to work fine.

@Garmin: Please allow us to import Strava Routes much easier!!!
  • JaVaWa RTWtool worked kind of for me.

But it's limited to 1000 course-points How do I get this full 100km track on my device?
    https://www.strava.com/routes/2865908
  • +1 for fixing this

I'm a new Edge 25 user and am also having issues with uploading courses. +1 for fixing this. Hugely disappointing.

As for the work around, I'm a bit confused. I've successfully converted my GPX into FIT files using TCXconverter, but can't seem to get them on the device. I've tried adding them manually via the filesystem \GARMIN\NEWFILES folder as well as directly to the \GARMIN\COURSES folder. Neither work. After reconnecting or rebooting, they are just gone. Uploading FIT files to Garmin Connect via the manual upload area fails, and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it directly with Express.

How exactly are you guys moving the FIT course files to the Edge 25?

Thanks
    -S
  • They need to be placed in the Garmin\NewFiles folder.

Maybe they are not being correctly converted in to a course file in FIT format. Could you post one of the files you are using here and I will take a look.

Thanks for quick reply. I am putting them there, but they just disappear. Here's a small example file that I've been playing with. FWTW, I have upgraded to the latest firmware when asked by Express.
    -S

(Let me know if that didn't attach properly.)
  • How are you generating that FIT file? It is missing some header information.

As a quick test to make sure that the is Edge is OK try loading a course file that I have.

I did the following:

* Export GPX from a Strava ride
    * Convert to FIT via suggested TCXconverter (all defaults)
    * Drop into folder
    * Nada... no worky.

I played around with a few of the setting on TCXconverter but couldn't get anything to work. So I downloaded and tried JaVaWa RTWtool. This worked. I had to tweak some of the default settings to prevent the file from being split, etc, but it did work and end up in the courses section of the Edge25. Now I just need to get out and see if it works on the dirt.

Couple questions:

* What do you use for conversion of GPX files?
    * Oddly, after conversion, looking the details of the ride on the garmin, there is no Ascent info at all and the times are wildly off. Distance seems accurate.
    ** Yours though shows both.
    *** BTW- 83,831 of Ascent on your ride? what the ....??? Could that be wrong? If not, good job

Thanks again