This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My Edge 25 counted laps at 8.05 miles instead of 1 mile intervals

An odd thing happened yesterday on a 19.5 mile ride.

I've always had my Edge 25 set for 1 mile laps and autolap (lap button disabled).

The only new thing I did was set up heart rate alerts and a custom heart zone (160-170).

So the odd thing is, that instead of recording laps at 1.00 mile intervals it decided to do so at 8.05 mile intervals and I can't for the life of me understand why. I suppose it could be a bug related to the heart rate zone or alerts I set up, but it seems like a really weird thing to happen.

Anyone else seen anything like this before?

• OK. So I did another ride today with a different custom heart zone (120-175) and that did exactly the same thing. Laps at 8.05 miles.

So I guess the next logical test will be to delete the custom heart zone and disable heart zone notifications and see if it goes back to 1.0 mile laps. Will try that in the next day or two. I hope it does because I only want the heart zone alerts to help me pace a time trial. After that I will want my 1.0 mile laps back to normal.

• The auto-lap distance is controlled under

Settings -> Ride Settings -> Laps -> Auto lap

A distance of of 8.05 sounds like the unit was switched from Miles to Km as one of the options when using miles for auto-lap are 1 and 5 miles.

• I'll look at that. I've always programmed the settings using Connect on the web and then syncing via my phone. I've not touched it on the Edge 25 itself. But I'll see if I can fix that setting directly on the device.Miles

• The device was showing the correct settings when viewed directly. Very odd.

• So part 3 of the story. I've switched off the heart rate alerts and done a 31 mile ride today.

I still have 8.05 mile autolaps. As aweatherall has pointed out that 8.05 is the number of km in 5 miles, something is up here. The device is set to miles and autolap is set for 1 mile. I'm not really sure how to proceed here. Possibly backup, then delete config file and resync?

The other thing I might try is to mess about with the units. e.g. deliberately set it to km and change the autolap distance. Or just switch off autolap completely, do a ride, then turn it back on again and see if it clears up the issue? It's a puzzle, but clearly something has got corrupted or is a little bit buggy somewhere.

• Part 4 and we have a solution. Not completely sure what put things right, but I re-enabled heart rate alerts, switched it to zone 1 away from custom heart zones, then disabled heart rate alerts again. I also fiddled with the settings directly on the Edge 25 changing to autolap OFF and then back on again.

Then this morning, riding to the gym I get my 1-mile beep back again. YAY. So, thankfully it is reversible by means of one or both of the above actions. As I said originally, I think it's a little bug in a little-used feature, which is probably why I couldn't find anything about it anywhere.

• Turning off the Auto Lap and then re enabling it resolved your issue. The other steps are simply a correlation.

• OK. Excellent. Thank you. I know what to do if it happens again.