This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can .GPX be used (converted) for Routes?

I am considering purchasing an Edge 25 to help navigate and to pair it with a Bontrager Duosport S to measure cadence. I've read various success and failure stories about the possibility of importing .GPX files to route using the Edge 25.

I tried using the search option of this forum but it won't allow searching for "GPX" because of being too short of a search term.

Can somebody confirm/deny that the Edge 25 can read .GPX files (after converting them to .FIT)? If it's possible, what's the easiest/best way to do this?

Thank you!
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    The 25 will follow a .fit course. Plan in RideWithGPS, export as .tcx with any course points you want (cue text won't display), convert with RTWTool to .fit, copy to 25's newfiles folder, eject.

• Thanks for the reply.

So I did something similar by exporting a .KML file I made with "My Maps" from Google, and then converting it to .FIT with JaVaWa RTW.

The first time, the Edge 25 would not give turn directions. Then I ticked the "Add course points" box in JaVaWa and now it would give turn directions. However, the turn directions are not very accurate. Sometimes it's not giving turn directions, sometimes I am on a straight road and it's giving directions and sometimes it's giving directions to go left, where I should go right...

Is there any way to improve this?
  • Easy way to have a course

Hi!!

Easy way: garmin connect

I tried different examples and, for me, the easy way to load a course on Edge25 is following this steps:

> I guess on your computer have the track you want to follow.
    File format may be gpx, tcx or fit
    Trick: On your computer edit file and reduce number of points to 500

> Go to web https://connect.garmin.com and enter with your user
    > Use option "upload or import activity" and select file on your computer
    > Click on "see details"
    Edit name and rename with one easy to remember "todo.everest.kilian.jornet.gpx"
    > Options - "Save as a course"
    > Optional: erase imported activity (unless you want on your history)
    > Optional: go to "courses" and edit options you want (stay on road, ...)
    > Save
    > Turn on Edge25 and wait until is connected with phone
    Trick: erase all or most courses on your device to increase available memory
    > Mobile: open Garmin App and go to "courses"
    > Select course you want and send to Edge25 (top right button)

Enjoy the course!!

• Thanks for the reply. Uploading this to my Edge worked. However, something went wrong with the Turn by Turn directions. Once I got on a route downloaded from Strava, the Edge immediately seemed to display all the turn directions in a couple of seconds, and I had no turn directions the remainder of the route.
    It might be that the Edge got confused by the start and end of the route crossing each other, making it think I had skipped all the mid-part and thereby quickly passing through all the turn directions.

Should the above method normall give you correct turn by turn directions?

• The method works to me but, sometimes, I'd got a similar issue.
    For example, in the start or end like you
    Another case, the day I followed one course that draws one "8". In the central point of the "8" Edge was lost.

Trick: cut trails in loop or "8" in two parts (going & return) and load 2 courses
    Note: before start 2ond part, transfer saved track to mobile or it will be lost (Edge only saves one file)
  • I found that FIT files that you load onto the Garmin Edge 20/25 - in my case a 20 - through the newfiles folder need to have time properties and two courses on the device cannot have the same start time. Downloaded or hand-drawn tracks often lack these time properties and converted tracks may have identical, default time stamps. Make sure that the files contain correct time tags and FIT files load onto the device nicely by adding them to the newfiles folder and switching the device off and on.