This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Replace Edge 25 Internal Battery?

Has anyone worn out the internal battery and replaced it? I've been using the 25 almost daily for the past 18 months and the low battery warning comes on about a half hour after a full charge when it's below freezing outside. Looks like the unit is sealed with four "star" screws for which I don't have the bit. I'd be willing to purchase that bit and a battery if the install procedure is straight forward.
  • Paseo maplewood

No but it should be pretty straightforward. You might have to do a bit of soldering/hot gluing for connecting the battery to the piezo buzzer. newpower99.com has batteries for older Garmins; they might be able to help you out. They have instructional videos as well:l https://www.youtube.com/user/NewLife2OldStuff

Share the details if you manage to get it done. ;)
  • Opened up the Edge 25 using a T5 torx bit to remove the four screws. The coin-style battery is on the left and is in a tight metal frame with a metal tab. Note that that tab at bottom center needs to remain in that position to properly power the Garmin. The red/black wires do not go to the battery, but to the speaker. The sound comes out the four tiny pin holes at the center of the twist mount. The battery is stamped with the designation PD2430C1 - a 3.7 Volt, 110 mAh Lithium Ion cell measuring 24.5 x 3.15mm:

http://www.routejade.com/en/html/product/

I was able to readily find PD2430 cells for sale at about $13, but these are only rated for 100 mAh, and it would be nice to have that extra 10% capacity of the Garmin OEM cell:

http://www.thebatterystore.com/powerdiscpd243037v100mahli-ionrechargeablecoincell.aspx

So I'm going to continue looking for the 110 mAh capacity cell with the C1 suffix. When re-assembling the Garmin, make sure the orange sealing ring around the periphery has not become dislodged at some spot. Also, opening this Garmin does the same thing as totally powering down the unit (holding the power button down for 15 seconds). So when turning on the re-assembled device you have to hold the power button down for several seconds, then allow it to reset the time via GPS (the stored contents will be preserved).

• Nice. The PD2440 and PD2450 seem to have the same diameter as well. So if the extra 2mm thickness can be accommodated in the enclosure, you could perhaps go for the PD2450. You can get them cheaper on aliexpress.com (search for LIR2450). They definitely are not OEM but *should* do the job, speaking from my experience of ordering a smart phone battery from the site. I usually look at seller rating, number of orders and buyer feedback.
  • I'd love to know if the slightly thicker battery could work. I'd be very happy to see an extra 25% or more battery life out of this unit.

What do you think when you pulled it apart?
  • hi all

I just opened the unit (thanks for all the info) and it definitely looks like there's no space left for a thicker battery, not even 1mm for the PD2440 (150mAh) as the molded walls of the back part are too thin to sand them down and gain extra space.

I think the only solution to get extra juice here is to find a 2430 battery (24 is for diameter and 30 is for thickness, the initial 2 letters are for the producer) with a 3.7V and xxxmAh. I found a duracell one but it's not rechargeable (285mAh) and also this one http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/RJD2430C1/?qs=NaORKMxqSkzWBzhafPk%252b%2fA%3d%3d from Illinois capacitor but it's 110mAH like the original one.

Maybe a joint effort to scan the www could help us find what we need...

cheers

_carlo.
  • I was able to readily find PD2430 cells for sale at about $13, but these are only rated for 100 mAh, and it would be nice to have that extra 10% capacity of the Garmin OEM cell:

http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/RJD2430C1/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujLk4LccWrSMTGf0X3%2fz4ronL5WRvKk4l0%3d

...here is a 110mAh, although I would call for a joint effort in finding better capacity ones, I found some 3.0V but I would need to know which tension the motherboard shuts off to see if a 3.0V would work.

be aware of battery code: 24 stands for diameter and 30 for thickness (mm)

cheers

_carlo.
  • Mouser Battery installed

I purchased the 110 mAH battery from Mouser and can confirm it restored the Edge 25 to its original battery life when it was new. One difference from the first time I took it apart is the unit would not turn on again when holding down the power button for 15 seconds. But snapping it into the charger immediately turned it on. The battery from Mouser was nearly fully charged as shipped.
  • Has anyone found a source for these in Canada?
  • I purchased the 110 mAH battery from Mouser and can confirm it restored the Edge 25 to its original battery life when it was new. One difference from the first time I took it apart is the unit would not turn on again when holding down the power button for 15 seconds. But snapping it into the charger immediately turned it on. The battery from Mouser was nearly fully charged as shipped.

Don't be so quick to blame the new battery. I had the same issue with my Edge 25 a couple of months ago, and it's still on the original battery. Performed the same fix. Hasn't occurred again, at least so far.
  • Good to know that the replacement procedure was a success.