This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 130 Battery - Replacement Cost

Hi All,

It seems there's been a lot of issues with the Garmin Edge 130 battery dying and only being able to power on while plugged in. Anyone have any luck with replacements where Garmin doesn't make you pay 50% to get the same bike computer, that obviously has a lot of issues?

It seems like my experience is very similar to others - my bike was stolen, stopped using the Edge 130 for 6 or so months, really only used it for a couple 100 miles and then when I got a new bike wouldn't power on without being plugged in. After waiting quite a while to get connected to someone, I finally got ahold of customer support, who seemed to care less about helping me at all and after a very long delay, told me I needed to pay the $100 replacement for a defective product to get it swapped. Pretty frustrating for something I only owned for 2 years and being a pretty loyal customer that uses/owns a Fenix watch, inReach, Oregon navigation, among older watches and bike computers I still own but don't use. I also pay monthly for the medivac and SAR services. 

In total, anyone have any luck getting an easy swap of their Edge 130, instead of paying for 50% costs, considering this seems like a defect, rather than a user issue?

Isaiah

• Replacing the battery yourself or plugging into a lipstick battery while riding are the only other options.  Search this forum for the battery threads, much discussed.  One of the threads has pretty much a "step by step" to replacing the battery yourself if you're handy.  The lipstick battery is easier if you don't mind it mounted to your stem.  You'll find my thread on the lipstick battery in your search as well.

• Given your product loyalty to Garmin and that you purchase their premium products (e.g. Fenix), I’m surprised they don’t just replace the device outright.  

Garmin is known for their good customer service.  It would be great if one of their reps could respond here or give you a call. 

• Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help in a workaround option. Seems silly to have to rig up an external battery to use it and not sure why Garmin just doesn't offer to swap the batteries or replace the device outright. I guess my question was more in regard to if anyone has had experience with Garmin swapping their Edge 130 or batteries, instead of having to pay for a replacement of the device.

• You can exchange the old, original battery, to a new, and bigger one.

Cost about 12 USD.

Timewise: 10 mins.

Please check my post from 1-2 years before.

• You won't like my story. Similar to yours where my Edge 130 battery didn't last. My situation was a little better, because it still worked, but not for rides more than 2 to 2.5 hours. My email to support resulted in an offer of a refurb for $110 which I accepted. That was a mistake, and I wish I had bought the 130+ on Black Friday pricing of $219 or a Wahoo Bolt. Unfortunately, the refurb 130 that I received won't synch to GPS, so it's useless and they won't return it because it's been more than 2 weeks. (I'm sure they can see from my Garmin profile that it hasn't recorded a single ride, but that doesn't seem to matter). So, my caution is don't even order the refurb and go new instead and given the battery issues for the 130 go either to a 530 or try the Wahoo Bolt instead. I hear good things about that one from other guys in the club I belong to, and DC Rainmaker review looks like it's pretty decent.