This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 Version 3.80 notes and comments

The software change notes are more extensive for 3.80 than indicated in the  post.  Notably, includes some attention to battery life.  I'm suggesting this thread as feedback on 3.80 so we can bring attention to any additional fixes needed for Garmin.  I've just installed 3.80, but not yet ridden.  (Recovering from injury.)

• I am not so sure that all of these changes are only being implemented now, I rather think this is a sort of cumulative changelog for a couple of updates. For example, the manual calibration feature has been there for a while now.

Having said that, I am still glad that there still is some kind of an attention to the Edge 130, which is a good thing. This device is exactly what a recreational cyclist like me needs. 

• Yeah, , after reading through this again yesterday, I was thinking the same thing.  Backlight options is another one that's been there for a while too.  So, I guess my posting of the screen grabs didn't have much value, but hopefully we can capture any issues in this thread.  I too have been pretty happy with my 130 after accepting the need for an external battery pack in the winter.

I suspect Garmin wants to be done fooling around with the software for this model, so the sooner we post any issues, the better.  Hopefully it's every bit as good as 3.70 was but just with the elevation graph fixed.  Hopefully no issues to post!

• Elevation graph is still funky at first.  On two different rides, after riding for some time, went to elevation graph and all blank as before.  I left on that screen and checked a while later and it was then working fine.  It seems that once it starts working, it continues, but it has taken several minutes to resolve each time.  I read a suggestion in the 130 Plus forum that starting the ride whilst on the elevation graph can help.  I'll try that next time.

Both of these rides were without following courses.

•  "Fixed an issue where the elevation graph could show no data in specific circumstances"

Well, on today's ride, (mtb, not following a course, speed sensor and remote connected), elevation graph never worked.  I didn't check until mile 11 of 15, but left it on that screen for most of the last 4 miles and it never worked.  So there are still specific circumstances that the elevation graph doesn't work.

Also still being reminded constantly of what buttons to push.  Aggravating; now I have even more buttons to push to make the unnecessary screen-tips disappear...  please give an option to turn that off!

• I have some time now, so I want to make a live video of what the software looks like for a 2-year-old hardware. Nobody will refer to the post, but the video will be seen by many users. Any error will be shown. I have about 10 bugs overall; - post-ride sync errors (sync error on phone and red exclamation mark) - errors with synchronization of some segments - the route is loaded only from the computer and the uploading via bluetooth does not work - device restarts at random times - the problem with height discussed here - Bontrager ION lights off / on randomly, sometimes one turns off, sometimes two, sometimes none. - problems with the battery at low temperatures. e.t.c. Do you think it makes sense to do this? I have two devices so two can't be broken. And two have the same errors. Latest phone and Garmin software. It will cost you some work, is it worth it?

• I guess I'm pretty lucky, 1-1/2 year old device, with only the elevation graph issue and cold weather battery woes (which I solved with an external lipstick battery, I ride all winter on one charge of that).

I do occasionally get the red exclamation mark warning of "no-sync".  In those cases if you press the red mark you are given the opportunity to sync again.  It sometimes takes several retries, and it's always when I first fire up the device, end of ride is fine.

I would make sure it is synced at the beginning of the ride by trying to press the red exclamation mark and resyncing.  I always open the app first and have it on screen, then start the 130.  Also, I have found it doesn't want to sync when there isn't a good cell data signal or wifi, even though it is a Bluetooth sync.  The app seems to need a web connection for the magic to happen.  My rides always upload automatically, as long as I have a good data connection.

• Elevation graph seems just like it was with FW 3.70... It consistently works when following a course, but rarely works when just recording, but not following a course.  Essentially, no improvement from 3.70.  I tried starting the recording while on the elevation graph page as one user suggested, it did not help.  No joy.

• Just updated to 3.80 and had my first ride. Got 600m of elevation on a known flat course. Elevation gain is totally wrong. Never had this issue before. Even turnin on/off the auto correction doesnt work. Can i downgrade to 3.7 again?

• Someone likely has the Beta file link if you want to roll back, but I've had no problems from 3.80.  Occasionally if I'm not following a course I won't get an elevation graph during the ride (same as other versions, but less so), but frankly the elevation graph is only useful to me if I am following a course.  I've not had any erroneous elevation recording, even when I don't get a graph.

I'd make sure the sensor holes aren't plugged with dirt, and maybe just see how it does next time.

• Great, i'll try another ride and see how it goes. I dont ride following courses but never had the issue before. The graph is not useful to me too, but the elevation gain in meters is a key information to me when using garmin. Tks on the reply.