This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Meaning of wind strength symbol on weather widget

Does anyone know how the wind strength symbol on the weather screen works? The symbol is a varying number of lines (ive seen 2 and 3 not sure if there are more or less). I'm assuming the more lines the windier it is but do we know the wind speeds at which the lines increase/decrease in number?

•     I suspect you're correct about 20 mph and above is three lines.  I remember seeing three lines once during a particularly windy ride.  My widget source is consistently high in temp, 10* high right now, but temps are falling fast after dark so there is a lag time factor in addition to a geography disparity.

For the wind data, I'm thinking we should start accounting for both steady wind and gusts.  It might make our trivial test here more meaningful.  It would be nice to know if the 130 is displaying lines based on steady wind or gusts.  For TWC, they just give one number, which I believe is gusts.  AccuWeather gives "Wind" and "Gusts", so I'm going to use that as my source going forward.  Hopefully your source has both wind speed and gusts.

15 mph = 2 lines

14 mph = 2 lines

13 mph = 2 lines.

10 mph = 1 line

8 mph = 1 line

3 mph, 7 mph Gusts = 1 line

2 mph = 1 line

Calm, 2 mph gusts = 1 line

• I have gusts on my weather site too. I think it'd would be more likely to be based on average speed rather than gusts, but will record them anyway.

15 mph = 2 lines

14 mph, 24 mph gusts = 2 lines

13 mph = 2 lines.

12 mph, 27 mph gusts = 2 lines

10 mph = 1 line

8 mph = 1 line

2 mph = 1 line

• I've been following this with interest, and was just handed my a$$ by the wind.  My Edge 130 was showing 3 lines on the weather data page, and I just looked it up when I got back and The Weather Channel is reporting 19mph here.  So here's an update:

19mph = 3 lines

15 mph = 2 lines

14 mph, 24 mph gusts = 2 lines

13 mph = 2 lines.

12 mph, 27 mph gusts = 2 lines

10 mph = 1 line

8 mph = 1 line

2 mph = 1 line

• Great! Thanks very much. It looks like our work here is done now you've seen the much talked of but hardly ever spotted 3 wind lines. At least we have some idea of what the lines mean and for my part 3 lines would make me think a lot about giving a ride a miss, and 2 lines would mean trying to avoid a headwind at the end of my ride. You dont suppose there's a 4th line? Slight smile

• If I ever see a fourth line I'm hiding in the basement.  :-)