This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Comments on Edge 130 memory...

My 130 is just over a year old and when I recently went to sync with Garmin Express I was given a warning on the laptop that "Memory is full, oldest activity will be deleted.", or something to that effect.  It did sync properly and after I used "This PC" to check disc space and the Edge 130 did show as nearly full.

So... I went into the Edge 130 directly (not through the computer) and deleted all but my most recent rides, it freed up almost the available memory.  My comments:

• The unit itself never gave a warning of memory nearly full, kind of disappointing, but now that I am aware I will delete previous rides on a regular basis.
  • Deleting the rides from the 130 did not remove any data from the "Totals" on the unit itself.  Not something I care about much, but useful perhaps to those that like seeing the total odometer, etc.
  • Deleting the rides did not remove them from Garmin Connect when syncing subsequently.
  • If your confident in what you're doing I'm sure you could delete rides through the PC, but I think it's safer to just go through the 130 menu screens.  Less opportunity for me to accidentally delete an operating system file or something else important!

All of the above makes sense to me but I figured I'd mention in case it helps.  I don't like the idea of using anything with a nearly full memory, that is just asking for it to have problems.  I'd advise deletion of old rides as normal maintenance of the unit.

• There are hidden files on the Garmin.  I was having an issue that even after I reset the unit, I only had about 400kb worth of space.  That was enough for a few rides and maybe a few courses.  When I plugged it into the computer, I figured I would try to see if there were any hidden files.  There are.  One of them is labeled Trash.  Within the Trash folder was a bunch of old files.  Think of it like your Recycling Bin or Trash (on a Mac).  I went from having a few kb to have 23mb.  Seems like the problem is solved.  

• That is helpful to know.  My first post above now seems a bit silly, but I was new to the Garmin ecosystem at the time.  Obviously it makes more sense to plug into a laptop and delete directly from the Activities folders.  You just have to be sure not to delete from any of the folders with the operating systems.

I hadn't noticed a Trash folder, I'll take a look.  Thanks.