This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to see direction when planned route crosses?

Hello Guys,

i already searched for answeres in the Edge 130 forum but did not find anything:

Am i the only one struggling when it comes to following a planned route, where the track is crossing sometimes?

I often plan trips with equal start- and finish-location --> Thats why the way there and back often cross each other ...

And when im out on the track and see the lines on my Edge 130 i can often not find out, which line i have to follow.

Either there is something that i dont know or it would be helpful to have maybe something like a dot, always ~ 50m in front of the current position --> This way i could clearly see which way to go ...

The "white arrow" which should be a reference to the planned pace is not help if i am much slower or faster than that

I know, that the "official Answer" will be:

1. The planned Track is shown with a white line in between two black lines --> But this often is not working on the track to see the clear direction

2. When it comes to a junction a Message should appear which way to go --> Not always and not always 100% clear

I hope my description is OK and it would be interesting if i am the only guy struggling with this problem ;-)

Thank you in advance!

Here you see some crossings --> In this example it looks OK but you have to determine on the bike while driving which way to go

On the left side you have a example where there is only one way but the line is interrupted --> These are situations where it gets more complicated and the track-combination can lead you into a false direction

Thats why i think, that some kind of icon, always being in front of the current position is the most reliable way to always know where to go ...

• If you use Garmin Connect to transfer the route to your Edge 130, then the route will be saved as routable course. In the navigate menu you can select the course and you will get turn-by-turn guidance on your screen when you ride the course. My experience is that the 130 does quite well with crossing courses, certainly compared to the 820. 

• Thanks for your answer

Thats exactly what i am doing but the turn by turn guidance is often a bit ticky (for me) and if there are turns which go basically into similar directions i can not determine which way exactly to go ...

So i think this is no 100%-solution for me

I think if there would be a visual information/guidance, "following the right track", no confusions are possible anymore

• First option:
    Check if the Pointer is available in the 130.
    If so, you could try the Pointer in a datafield.
    The pointer is an arrow that points in the direction of the next trackpoint.
    Works best in a datafield on your mapscreen.
    Move one or both datafields you have on your mapschreen to another page and use the field for the pointer.

Second option:
    When you edit the track at home you can edit the crossing in such a way that it is clear to see which way the track is going.

• Hi Walter!

Thanks for your answer!

Option1: I dont think so --> Only "Direction" is available and this is just showing me into what cardinal direction i am driving (not where the rout goes)

Option2: I tried to avoid such "extra-work" by hoping that im not the only one having that problem and maybe a fitting solution is available --> But yes you're right .. As backup-solution i will have to make such workarounds

However if my route is going in circles and using the same roads more often, i have to remember what i planned or hope that the turn-messages will always be clear and i am able to look at the Edge when driving down a steep hill e.g.

Thanks to all for your help

Seems that i have to deal with the current situation

• Yes, I checked today, no pointer on the 130...

• hoping that im not the only one having that problem and maybe a fitting solution is available

"Not the only one" ;-)  Find similar problem and discussion here.

Self crossing course

• Thank you ...

Seems like there is no solution ...

• For shorter distances, set your virtual partner speed to your estimated speed using virtual connect. Then when you start your ride, delay by 30s or so to allow your VP to show you the way.

For longer distances this may not work because the VP might be too far away from you. If Garmin were to change the software so that the VP was reset on each lap then this problem might be solved.

• Thanks a lot

1. Changing the VP-Speed does not help me ... im a Mountainbiker so there will always be very slow uphill or faster downhill sections --> Constant speed Arror never is where i want it to be ;-)

2. Yes i agree. This would only be working if Garmin does some SW-Changes. But i also understand that the VP was created with other intentions than showing the direction ;-)

• If you use this tool gotoes.org/.../Add_Timestamps_To_GPX.php to add speed to your GPX it allows you to "Consider Elevation in Calculating Speed". That might help you. Garmin Connect does not offer that functionality.