This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 battery life sucks

Is there any official response from Garmin on the obviously rampant problem of poor battery life of the Edge 130? 

• Yes. Night riding 2.5hrs. Edge 130 battery did not last more than 2hrs with back light, and HR belt connected. The unit was checked at Garmin Greece and was found to be OK. I managed to return the unit to the store I bought it from and got the Edge 520plus without any issues. 

• Thought I'd throw my two penn'orth into the discussion re: battery life.  I had an Edge 200  for about 4 years and had no issues with battery life whatsoever during the majority of the time I had it.  12 hours was the longest ride I completed and it still wasn't fully depleted.  Eventually it wasn't holding its charge as long (still okay though) but I decided it's 4 years old so time to get another Garmin.  The Edge 200 wasn't sold any more so went for the Edge 130.  It had various features I'd probably never use but was the cheapest Garmin available (as was the Edge 200 when I bought it).

As others have mentioned the battery life is terrible and nothing like the claimed figures.  I only use it with GPS so no phone connection and all other 'battery saving' fixes mentioned have been implemented.  Today's ride (cold 0 C) was 4.5 hours and with a fully charged unit the first battery bar disappeared after 8 minutes!! Are they saying it's used 20% after 8 minutes on a fully charged year old Garmin.  Second bar went after 1 hour.  Third bar lasted until 2.5 hours.  Fourth bar disappeared on 3.5 hours and fifth bar went on 4 hours.  Arrived back on 4.5 hours not knowing when it was about to run out.  The Edge 200 had a percentage figure for battery life and shut display with a warning when close to running out but still had around 30-60 minutes left.  The battery bars on the Edge 130 don't appear or disappear even in any recognised pattern.  After using the Edge 200 without issue for most of the time I used it I'm really disappointed with the Edge 130 battery life.

I'm not sure if anyone has any further tips on extending the battery time?  I paid almost double for the Edge 130 compared to the Edge 200 and have about half the battery life after only a years use.  Would seriously consider not getting a Garmin next time based on this experience.

• I juste swap my edge 130 with 370 mah aliexpress battery,, huge upgrade for 2.5€ shipped !!!

• Battery life sucks. Only lasts about 5 hours with HRM and power meter.  Not even long enough for a decent bike ride

• As mentioned above, there is a very good thread about opening up your 130 and replacing the battery with a new and larger one. Search this forum for threads containing "battery".  You'll find a thread with step by step instructions.

The other method is what I did, which is to use an external lipstick battery mounted on the stem for unlimited battery during cold night rides.  Consider both options then pick your poison.  Link to my mod (bodge) here:  https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-130/253899/external-battery-pack-for-edge-130-end-of-battery-angst

• That ship has long sailed. I gave up on the Garmin Edge 130 and bought a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt and love it. 

• Certainly, that is a valid path, but I was replying to  regarding his question yesterday.  For myself, I salvaged the Garmin platform I've already invested in and I'm quite happy with it now.  A friend I ride with has a Bolt V1 and it works well for him.

• Just changed the battery for my and my wife's Garmin 130 devices using this 400mAh from Ali: https://aliexpress.ru/item/32331217147.html?_ga=2.222079512.1448944204.1649159448-737075485.1649159448&sku_id=10000011119181980&spm=a2g39.orderlist.0.0.3e034aa670jPZy

You will need:
    1) battery
    2) T7000 glue for mobile screens
    3) special screwdriver kit (I used Zitrek SPB45)

There is a good video available on Youtube (in Spanish) how to dismantle the device. I spent 1,5 hours for both devices. Result is amazing - after 3 hours of winter riding (at -2C), battery was still 50%

• Does that battery heat up a lot when using it?

• For those asking for a solution about the poor battery life of Edge 130: I got the same problem with my unit until one day in which I forgot it charging overnight. Then I discovered that charging the battery to 100% takes 6 to 8 hours. After that, the battery runs for more that 10 hours (using only GPS)