This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Very slow satellite fix 15 minutes plus...

My 130 has always been very slow to get a GPS fix.  It's getting to the point where I'm about ready to send it back to Garmin... It regularly takes 15 minutes plus before I get the GPS ready beep.  Is this normal for the 130 or could I have a defective unit?

• Do you have a lot of history on the unit?

Check how many files you have in the Garmin\Activities folder.

• It's not normal - mine usually gets a fix within a few seconds. Most likely not a defective unit though but corruption of the GPS satellite fix info files.  Before sending back to Garmin, I would recommend:

1. Synchronise by plugging into a PC (this will update the GPS info on the device more thoroughly than a wireless sync

2. Delete the satellite fix files manually if the above doesn't work. If you're not comfortable doing this then do a hard reset. Fortunately, this is a lot simpler on an Edge 130, as there's less to customise, than a Forerunner!

• How do you delete the satellite fix files manually?

• On the 130 it is in the EPO.BIN file located in the Garmin\RemoteSW folder

• Thanks. So I just delete it and then re-sync with the computer (USB)?

• That should give you new file.

• I think it worked!!! I report back after a few rides. Thanks!!!

• If not completing a few rides in 9 months it might cause problem to get GPS fix.

• Sorry, but I have the same problem. Yesterday was my first day with the new Garmin Edge 130. It took about 30 Minutes to get the first GPS signal! I synchronized the unit before I started. Today, only 1 day later, same situation. I am now waiting for another 30 minutes. I synchronized before and did delete this EPO.BIN file and then synchronized the unit again. Unacceptable, my TomTom Watch need only a few seconds. After 30 minutes I am normally already far away from my starting point. 

• Make sure you have a bluetooth connection with your phone and that Garmin Connect is running.  If 130 doesn't sync with GC properly, resync until it does.  It sometimes needs any extra manual resync after just turning on.  I think the 130 will use the satellite data from the phone to get a quicker fix.  It will also be slow to get a fix if you haven't used the 130 for a while.  It happened to me after a software update, but fixed itself with being tied to GC in phone and regular use.