This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unstable Speed on Edge 130

My Edge 130 speed fluctuate the whole time, usually 17.2 to 17.8 to 16.8 to 17.4 and so on, this is without speed sensor. 

• This is norma andl due to GPS accuracy. You can use 3s Average to smooth this out a bit. The other option would be to use a Speed sensor.

• This is normal but if it bothers you there are some quite good analogue speedometers - which hide the wobble - in the Connect IQ store. You can set these up as a data field. E.g. I use apps.garmin.com/.../4262c271-a0b7-4e7b-abc6-b9527668b027 

• I'm having the exact same problem. I'm absolutely certain it wasn't doing this till just recently, possibly only since one of the recent software updates. I used to hold a steady speed but now it's all over the place. I considered turning on GPS + GLONASS or GPS + GALILEO but as it is I'm lucky to get six or seven hours out of full battery charge with everything optional turned off. 

To Garmin - Matthew, there isn't a 3s Average for speed, only for power. How can we go about using 3s Average to help smooth out the speed reading? 

• I'm having the exact same problem. I'm absolutely certain it wasn't doing this till just recently, possibly only since one of the recent software updates. I used to hold a steady speed but now it's all over the place. I considered turning on GPS + GLONASS or GPS + GALILEO but as it is I'm lucky to get six or seven hours out of full battery charge with everything optional turned off. 

To Garmin - Matthew, there isn't a 3s Average for speed, only for power. How can we go about using 3s Average to help smooth out the speed reading? 

• As an addendum, the speed on my 130 refreshes every 1 second and can fluctuate by anywhere from a couple tenths  to as much as 4 kph, not just fractions of a kph.

As alluded to above, this unit also has had an ongoing problem with battery life. I don't know if the two issue are related. 

I really hope this helps someone figure out the problem. 

• Has anyone actually resolved this problem? I have not yet seen an answer and my Edge 130 does exactly the same....

• As stated above, its not a problem. It's a feature of the GPS signal. 

• I am not sure. Actually, this is my 3rd Garmin edge and I have never had this problem. I have just had a quick chat with Garmin support. they did not claim either it was normal course of business and suggested the following solution (that I have not yet had the time to check):   

Connect the Edge to computer using the Garmin cable

1. Access the device drive (Windows Key + E for Windows, Finder > Devices for Mac)
    2. Enter the Garmin folder
    3. Locate and delete the following folders - Activities, NewFiles, Settings, RemoteSW
    4. Note that we are deleting the folders themselves, not just the contents
    5. Once that's done, empty the trash on your computer
    6. Safely eject the device from the computer and then disconnect
    7. Allow the Edge to boot back up to the home screen

• Has anyone had success with this "solution"? I tried it today and had zero improvement. In fact, it seemed worse than ever but that may have been because I was watching it more closely than usual. Perhaps I'll try it again, but I'm not optimistic. 

If anyone had any success with this fix, could you let us know if you did anything different or departed from the protocol in any way. 

• I know is dumb but faced something similar problem and found out the bike computer was on Statute units, passed to metric and speed was then the expected one.