This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recording long rides (24+ hours)

Does the Edge 130 continue to record when an external battery is plugged in? I have an Edge 25 and this unit doesn't. I would like a small and simple GPS unit to record long rides (24 hours or more) and so require continuity of recording across multiple charges. Currently I join ride fragments recorded with the Edge 25, but it's a PITA not having pan-ride metrics available (distance, average speed, elapsed time etc).

Kindly,
N.

• Surely someone knows this?

• I haven't tried it yet during a ride but my Edge 130 continues to stay in recording mode when I connect it to an Anker power bank. 

• Yes it does but you will have to think about how you mount it and waterproofing as there is no through mount charging as with the 530. 

• I have a 130 and also do long multi-day rides.  It does indeed charge on the fly.  I've got a BarFly 2.0 outfront mount which provides enough space to get the cable to the charge port whilst mounted.  External battery sits in the handlebar bag (or, you could charge while stopped to eat, etc)

• ”Surely someone knows this”

I’ll assume for a moment you’re new to the internet and using forums. 

When you post a question on a forum, and then bump your thread twice in search of a response, the etiquette when someone answers your question is to then reply with a thank you of some form. Failure to do so is bad etiquette. 

• Thank you for the confirmation George.  You're right about the lack of waterproofing -- my first solution is to try and not ride in the rain for 8 hours at a stretch :-)

• Thanks Martimer71,  I bought a 130 and am very happy with it.  The battery life (no sensors) isn't quite what I'd hope it would be, but the ability to plug and un-plug an external battery without interrupting recording more than compensates.

• Thank you for the reminder.  When I asked the question I was rather itching to get a reply having owned a Garmin 25 which did not operate as desired (recording interrupted when external battery plugged in) and having the option on a time-limited good deal on a 130.  After no (quick) replies, I took a chance and bought the 130 and forgot all about this thread.  Mea culpa.

• Kudos to Sidlaws, a classy response to a snarky admonishment!

More importantly, I learned something I was curious of, so thanks all for confirming I can nurse my 130 through cold weather if I can rig up an external battery!