This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Long ride question - why does the screen refresh slow down?

Without getting into the morass of the battery life discussion - I solved that with a charging on the go solution - has anyone had issues with the 130 screen refresh slowing down and getting choppy on long rides?

I ride with a randonneur group, and am preparing for PBP in August.  I typically set my data fields to rotate between pages and I'm using navigation.  I was doing a 300km brevet this past weekend and as I got over the 220km mark, I was noticing the page refreshing was getting progressively slower and a little choppy.  Has anyone experienced this?  Was there a solution?  The SW/FW are all up to date.

Thanks!

• Also, this would have started about 10-11 hours into the ride.  Lots of battery life as I had just charged up mid-ride.

• Hello Maritimer71,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question.... but you know the answer to mine :-)

I'm considering buying an Edge 130 for long rides, 300km type events similar to you, and have been wondering whether it's possible to charge the 130 mid-ride, without interrupting a ride-record.  ie I'd like to know whether it's possible to use the 130 to display complete trip distance (and other trip metrics) when periodically attaching an external battery for charging.  The Edge 25 I have insists on beginning a new ride when an external battery is attached, and again when the unit reaches full charge. And when I get tired the necessary arithmetic irritates me.

Also, could you confirm, or otherwise, that the 130 gives a reasonably sensible "Low Battery" warning before going completely flat and switching off.  Ditto for "Fully Charged" notifications.

Thank you kindly.

• Hey Sidlaws (I guess I need to log in here more often!)

Yes, I responded to your original question and you can charge on the fly.  I have most notifications turned off, but I don't think there's a lot of notice on the low battery like you get on the Edge 25 (2 warnings, as I recall)  I have an Edge 25 as well. I display the battery life icon on one of my screens (for what it's worth, sounds like it's not the most accurate)