This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 and Bontrager Ion 200 and Flare RT (2018) light control

I have encountered this issue when my Garmin Edge 130 creates a "Light Network" with both the Ion 200 and Flare RT. I am able to turn them ON together via the Garmin and can control them using the preset settings in the Garmin Menu (labelled as Auto, High Visibility, Night, Trail in the light sensor menu (different settings then the Bontrager manual). However, when they are in Light Network formation, when I try to turn them off via the Garmin, on the Flare RT turns off, the Ion 200 remains on.

I am able to set them up as "Individual" lights in the Garmin and when I do this, I have full access to the Bontrager labelled settings: Day Flash, Night Flash, Steady etc... AND I am able to turn each light ON and OFF individually - this tells me that the it is possible to turn the Ion 200 on and off from the Garmin.

Any one else have this combination of lights and the Edge 130 to test out? Seems like a software bug since I am able to turn on/off the Ion 200 when set to individual light mode but NOT when it's part of a Light Network formation.
  • Same problem! Exactly what you have described. How did you fix it?

• I contacted both Garmin and Bontrager support - neither was able to re-create or resolve the issue.  I resort to manually turning off both lights at the end of my ride.

• Thank you for the feedback, but I don't understand why nobody is able to resolve it... we are in 2020 and this kind of bug must be fixed easily..

anyhow, thank you again

• Are you guys able to make them flash with the 130? I was thinking of buying this computer and was wondering if that was possible.

• Yes, i am able to set both lights to flash in the following modes: Auto, High Visibility, Night and Trail modes.  When in a Network I can set both lights to flash in the same mode.

One thing of note is that the rear red light, the Flare RT, has a built in ambient light sensor.  When this sensor is on, it overrides the flash mode you set when it there is low light (i.e. indoors).  I figured this out after noticing that when I set the flash mode of the Flare RT that it would start flashing to the mode I set it, but then after a few seconds go into a steady, lower light mode.  Play around with it and you'll see what I mean.  The ambient light sensor can be turned off completely to avoid this problem - download the manual to see how to do it.

• No problem,  I'm glad to know that my problem wasn't isolated and that I was the only one with this problem.  Other than this light network problem, the form factor, battery life and visibility of these little lights are fantastic!