This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incomplete or corrupt rides

The last 2 rides, both long 80 mile and 50 mile rides have ended up with corrupt or rides that won't upload.
The 1st time it occurred, sync via ios too an really long time, and the map data showed a line across the globe, and the subsequent sync to strava also showed odd data, like 3000 days activity.
2nd time it happened yesterday, 50 mile ride, ios sync seam to hang, and then sync via USB gave the error that the fit file was an unsupported format.
I manage to fix to a degree using an online tool, but this cut out part of the map, and the stats are odd

both rides during a stop the device went into power save mode (after food stop), but resumed the ride ok.

Anyone else had similar issues and tips to resolve? I've lost fair in the Edge 130 and going to have to take to double recording my rides with my 735xt watch
  • I've have a similar issue that has only started in the last week or so. The machine works the whole way around, no indication of anything wrong, but when I upload the file won't transfer to Connect. If I upload to strava all the totals are correct but only the first few k's have been properly recorded and the rest is missing. Today after uploading to strava the ride then managed to upload to Connect (but wouldn't before) again all the totals are correct but only the start of the ride has been correctly recorded. It has only happened during my morning ride, not the evening one, but not every morning ride.
  • Have a look in the ACTIVITIES folder on your device. If there is anymore than a months worth of completed and uploaded activities in there then consider archiving the older months off to a folder on your computer. It could be that there isn't enough storage room on your device to write all the data to the .fit file.

cheers
    Mike
  • Garmin support more or less have suggested the same, they said to empty the ACTIVITIES, NEWFILES and COARSES then perform a reset. since I've done 2 rides ok, but these were a lot shorter, and didn't have any stops where the device went into powersave and I had to resume.
  • If there is a correlation with the device going into power save mode, please reach out to Garmin Product Support so we can research this.

• There is a correlation.  I have had this happen to me twice:  Long ride, with radar.  Device offers to go into power save near the end of the ride.  I end my ride.  Everything appears good.  Right before ending, my totals all seem reasonable.  I hit Save Ride.

But my ride will never upload.  I can see the ride in my history.  But I can't open the ride.

If I mount my device and copy the .fit file out and try to manually upload it to Garmin Connect, it tells me that it is an unsupported file type.

This is really frustrating, to not be able to see your data fro your most impressive ride.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that hitting Save when the device is in Power Save mode is asking for trouble.  My suspicion is that it is powering down in the middle of saving the data, leaving the .fit file incomplete or corrupted.

Happy to send the most recent example of a failed .fit file if that will help you diagnose the issue.

Note my device is an Edge 820