This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS or GPS + Glonass or GPS + Galileo and why?

I can choose to set satellite network to GPS or GPS + Glonass or GPS + Galileo.
These are United States, Russian and European navigation satellites.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of those choices. Better accuracy? Better battery life?
Why can't I choose GPS + Glonass + Galileo?
  • Actually only gps should do its job in case satellite reception is perfect. The combination with another system will improve accuracy when the signal gets weaker. Some people will claim that accuracy is always better when combining networks, even in the case the gps signal is perfect. Off course combining networks will use more battery power.
    Why garmin does not support the combination of all networks? It may be a development choice or maybe the chipset is not supporting this?
    Regarding galileo. Afaik it is still not fully operational. I have seen tracks from people using it that have straight lines because of loss of signal. Not sure if it is really due to galileo. However I am still using gps+glonass and have not yet seen this issue.
  • Krispie76 although what you say is a common view but not always true. GPS accuracy is not related to satellite reception but to the number you can see, not counting reflections (off tall buildings or mountains). It is also limited to +/- 7.8m. Using more than one system won't necessarily improve accuracy and could in some instances make it worse (something to do with small errors in timing between the different systems) but my understanding is that it will generally improve the time to find enough satellites for a lock (because there are more of them).
  • Galileo will be most accurate, but is not fully in-place yet.
    Accuracy expected <1 meter!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_navigation#Comparison_of_systems
  • This link should answer your questions. (Changing the Satellite Setting) These settings will reduce battery life. However they will 'increased performance in challenging environments and faster GPS position location'

• No, this is maximum theoretical accuracy. In practice, nobody I'm aware of has published any consistent evidence it is better than gps in real life, although it could still be. Theoretical accuracy isn't the main problem: practical signal strength, noise and reflection from buildings are. My personal experience is that galileo is not better than gps or glonass. 

• Check out the comparative data for use in challenging environments at: https://www.gsa.europa.eu/newsroom/news/results-are-galileo-increases-accuracy-location-based-services 

Urban canyons are just as challenging as outdoor ones?

• This test is from 2014 before most Galileo satellites were up. GPS + all is best. But it does not answer to the question which Glonass or Galileo is better? It may depend on your location as Garmin units are not able to use the specific advantage of Galileo system anyhow.  

• Glonass has accruasy at 20 cm 

• I think you should reference your source since the previously mentioned wiki states something vastly different 

• Hello guys.. 

I bought garmin fenix 5 plus and i notice that the battery is spending too much.in 45 min in gps mode went from 64% to 55% and lead me to some roads that are not even there haha..and after charging from 100% fals to 99% like in a minute..