This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 Cold Weather Performance

Today’s ride was cold - around 11 F (-12 C). My Edge 130 worked fine for the first 30 minutes and then started automatically shutting down. I could restart it (once I noticed it had shut down), and when it restarted it knew I was still in the middle of a ride, but no data was saved between shutting down and restarting. Once restarted it would collect data for a minute or so before shutting down again. After futzing with it a number of times I gave up and resorted to the Strava app on my phone which worked fine (phone was in my inside coat pocket).

Garmin’s specs list the temp range of the 130 to be -4F to 140F (https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge130/EN-US/GUID-19267AC7-DD98-4F6A-9761-AF88319B338F.html), so I would expect it to work normally at the temp of today’s ride. I suppose I could ride with it in my pocket to stay warm, but that shouldn’t be necessary given Garmin’s temp specs.

Has as anyone experienced anything similar on your device? Is there anything I can do to avoid this happening again?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • It's been working great for me for the past month, although it's been warmer weather and I haven't gone on rides longer than four hours. Battery indicator (even w/ ConnectIQ battery apps) always reads 80%. Page up/down buttons aren't as crisp as they used to be. 

• GPS is on. I have tried another reset.

There is no EPO.BIN file in the folder so maybe that is the issue.

• I had the same issue. I someone else suggested pulling the board back out and bending up the copper connectors to the GPS antenna and that seemed to work (for now at least)

• Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

It worked !!!! My unit is working again. Thank you so much. I am so happy.

• Just created my 2500 mAh edge 130 mod. Not waterproof but I don't ride in the rain anyway.

• I have just changed it exactly the same way you described here. i understand that software doesnt recognize a new battery capacity, so when it say fully charged is it true or should i keep charging for some more hours ? thx

• No device can really measure capacity.  They measure voltage and infer capacity from that.  Fully charged would be the same voltage no matter the size of the battery.  I'd absolutely remove from charging the moment it shows as fully charged.

It is hard on these batteries to fully charge and fully discharge, just like with a cell phone.  If you kept between about 40% and 70% charged you would maximize battery life but not get to use all the capacity.  To get the capacity in the least damaging way, fully charge right before use.  Remove from charge the moment it is fully charged, or sooner if you don't need all the capacity that day.  Long term storage at 50-60% is best.

• thanx a lot Cranky, I learned something new today, I'll keep using it the way you recommend.

• Try as I might, I could not get the side or bottom buttons to work with my larger battery, and cranking down on the screws didn't seem like a good idea as the board was already making indents into the foil pouch battery, so I ordered a 402530 battery (my 502530 measured 4.84mm at its thickest).

• After dealing with Battery and Download issues from 2015-2021, on three different Edge 130’s, I caved. Bought an Element Bolt. Cold - no problem. Heat-no problem. 9hr ride-no problem. Should have bought one years ago.