This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 Cold Weather Performance

Today’s ride was cold - around 11 F (-12 C). My Edge 130 worked fine for the first 30 minutes and then started automatically shutting down. I could restart it (once I noticed it had shut down), and when it restarted it knew I was still in the middle of a ride, but no data was saved between shutting down and restarting. Once restarted it would collect data for a minute or so before shutting down again. After futzing with it a number of times I gave up and resorted to the Strava app on my phone which worked fine (phone was in my inside coat pocket).

Garmin’s specs list the temp range of the 130 to be -4F to 140F (https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge130/EN-US/GUID-19267AC7-DD98-4F6A-9761-AF88319B338F.html), so I would expect it to work normally at the temp of today’s ride. I suppose I could ride with it in my pocket to stay warm, but that shouldn’t be necessary given Garmin’s temp specs.

Has as anyone experienced anything similar on your device? Is there anything I can do to avoid this happening again?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Anybody who has fixed one and has a spare big battery around, want to fix mine?  Ok if it blows up/you break it, the batt life is so low and I don't have all the gizmos (soldering iron, etc).  Happy to chip in for there and back again along with bounty money.  paypal/crypto/cash w/ unit are all ok with me

• The issue for me seems to be the battery can't provide power when cold, rather than the battery losing all of it's charge. Today I was riding at just above freezing,  The device shut down after less than 2 hours (no sensors, not connected to phone). When I got home I turned it on straight into the service menu.  It was on 1% battery but this quickly increased even though it wasn't charging. After about 10-15 mins the battery was back up to 52% and the temp was 20 degrees Celsius.  So the battery still had half of it's charge left when it shut down.  I reckon if the device could be kept warmer the battery would last longer. My phone (in a fleece jacket pocket) was still on 92% at the end of the ride and my Vivoactive watch only lost a few percent even though I used it to track the last 10 miles of my ride.  I do have a silicone skin but that doesn't seem to provide much insulation.  I guess the device doesn't generate much heat and the battery just gets really cold, or the sensor that measures the charge is not working well in the cold?  So I can't see that replacing the battery will make a difference, unless some batteries are better in the cold.

• I successfully followed these instructions. Thanks so much!

I can't yet speak to longevity, but some thoughts on the process:

• Aliexpress sketches me out, but I found a 300mAh 502530 battery on Amazon (not that Amazon isn't also full of counterfeits and scams). Quick delivery too.
      www.amazon.com/.../ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00
    • Opening it up was super easy with my wife's hairdryer on 'hot' and 'low.' Got a very tiny flathead screwdriver under one corner, then a plastic scraper to more gently go around and pop the screen off.
    • Getting all the old adhesive gunk off was difficult; I used rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, then scraped with a razor blade and the very small flathead screwdriver I'd used to start opening the case.
    • The screws at the four corners of the circuit board seemed to be three T5s and a T6, not T4s as suggested. No idea why one was different. 
    • Very finicky to get the tiny tiny tiny battery wires stripped. Once I did, I soldered the new battery wires in and wrapped in electrical tape.
    • I trimmed down the foam spacer on the back of the circuit board as suggested by someone here.
    • I sealed it back up again with 2mm acrylic tape. Who knows how waterproof that'll be.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019OQ4Z10/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two PSAs, as I used to write safety material for the big grid-connected Li-ion battery systems: 

• Don't cut both wires at once. That'll short circuit.
    • Dispose of the old battery properly somewhere that accepts e-waste! And tape the two wires so they don't touch and short circuit! 
  • They rejected my warranty request for this issue. 

• I noticed that the GPS was off in the software after I put it all back together... I'd turned it on when it was open to confirm the connections were good, so perhaps it'd been unable to see the GPS antenna and gone into trainer mode??? Dunno. But I was worried I'd broken the GPS antenna during the process of wiring the new battery. Fortunately I spotted that; I've had it go into trainer mode when turned on indoors in the past. 

• I have. I’ve been riding over the winter period in barely freezing conditions so at about 0deg and found the device unreliable. I even tried the idea of insulating it. I just find all that is stated for these devices never quite stacks up. 

• After a 3 month wait my battery has finally arrived from China. Good job as when out in the cold the existing one only lasted 20 minutes! 

Just got to change it now fortunately with the details on here it looks straight forward. 

• I’d be interested how you get on with the replacement. 

• I have changed my battery. Reasonably straight forward except for the following:

•     When removing the battery / buzzer connector I snapped a little piece off the main board
    •     Getting all the wires in so the buttons right side buttons worked was very awkward and took several goes.
    •     I had to go through all the set up again.

But the biggest issue now is I cant get a GPS signal. I have tried deleting the EPO.BIN file and resyncing but still nothing. 

I hope I havent broken the GPS chip. Any suggestions?

• Mine switched to indoor trainer mode when I did all this - - just go in to the settings and turn GPS back on.