This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Stopped recording gps after a pause

Hi, today I bought an edge 130. After setup and update to 3.0 i went on a quick ride to a restaurant where I hit pause. After I returned to the bike, turned the gps back on and hit start and rode off.
Apparently, the attached sensors were recorded all the time, but there's no gps data for the second half of the ride...
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2931943895
There was no "waiting for gps" message or did I overlook anything?
  • You defnitely need to hit the start button. But you may need to hit it twice if GPS is not ok yet, because in that case the start button will only confirm the warning.
    Unfortunately Garmin decided to remove the movement warning which would give you heads-up in case ride is not started. So you get not really aware. The start button picture is only shown 1 sec or so. So the only option is to have look at the time/distance. :mad::mad::mad:
  • But it DID start recording. Just the sensor data (HRM, speed, cadence) not any position data for the second half of the ride.
  • I think I figured out the problem on my second ride today. After restarting the unit and clicking"resume" it doesn't say "acquiring gps" anymore, so one starts the timer...
    still, that it did take more than 3 km till it finally located enough satellites is not really acceptable.
    Please, bring back some information about the state the device is in.
    Thanks
  • When you start the ride, it starts the ride. Even without GPS. It is just a warning. But it may need to confirm the screen. :(
    In any case, I experienced this at the very first beginning. Pratically it is the same on other Edges. The difference here is, the movement warning is missing.
    I can't understand the ideas behind this Dev decisions. Annoying user? Thinking users are stupid enought to say "ah ok, has not all the features need, but I like to put stuff in the bin and waste my money. So I buy the next level, I don't mind" :rolleyes:
    Or maybe a great manager buying a big bunch wonderful discontinued small memory. Stating he save a lot of money, ensuring his next bonus. Just they need to force the developer to strip the freatures as not enough memory.
  • This has happened several times to me.  One thing I've notices is that my *speed* does register but no *distance* or *map-track*.  Always happens after a mid-ride stop and I've paused the ride.

This issue is so annoying, I'm very close to leaving Garmin for another option.  Garmin, any thoughts?

• Anyone fixed this issue?

• Yes a real pain in backside.  I have downloaded an IQ App that displays the strength of the GPS signal.  It gets the data from the Garmin GPS system so shows when there is no GPS activated.  It is written by Alexis Lecanu.  Add this to a data screen to see if the GPS is back on.

I sometimes use the Edge 130 for indoor cycling so deliberately turn the GPS off.  No matter what settings I use the Edge turns off after a given time because it is not receiving a GPS signal.  Very painful.  I sent my first 130 back to Garmin and they replace it but the new one is just the same.  Garmin are not great at listening to their users!