This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Create a route on mobile phone?

What options are there to quickly create a route on the mobile phone and send it to the 130? Any experiences? Thanks!
  • I can recommend the app 'EasyRoute', I'm using the iOS version. Once you've created a route in that app, you can easily export to the Garmin Connect app on your phone. Click the 'export' button. then "Open GPX in other app", choose "Copy to Connect" and thero you go. From the Garmin Connect app you'll have to send it to your Garmin Edge device though and synch.

MAJOR CAVEAT: courses on the Edge 130 are completely useless at the moment, since navigating with a course on your 130 is completely and utterly useless and not working because of the bugs in the current version. Please, please, please Garmin, release a new version already! :(
  • Great, thanks! I think this is the workflow described by DC Rainmaker? https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/quickly-creating-devices.html
    Let's hope they fix the current bugs with the latest firmware update (promised end of month...let's see).
  • I just found out another way for those who want to use Google maps: Go to google.com/maps (website, not app!) --> plan a route. Click the "Share" symbol. "Copy link". Then paste the link in the datafield on the website https://mapstogpx.com/ --> open gpx file in Garmin Connect app. Done.
  • and there is also this tool (the routing is quite good...) https://graphhopper.com/maps/ - no mobile site unfortunately. just plan a route, click on the GPX symbol --> export to Garmin Connect.
  • Thank you very much for these precious tools you're providing us with. One question I have, with these two solutions, will the waypoints be included into the gpx file and made readable through garmin connect to get turn-by-turn guidance in the end ?

the tcx conversion stuff (mentioned in an earlier thread) seems way too complicated to be implemented through an iOS device while on the go...

Thanks !

and don't forget to post something in the 'Update' topic I created for the occasion : the update has become an absolute necessity, garmin must comprehend it.
  • MAJOR CAVEAT: courses on the Edge 130 are completely useless at the moment, since navigating with a course on your 130 is completely and utterly useless and not working because of the bugs in the current version. Please, please, please Garmin, release a new version already! :(

I completely disagree with this statement. The only issue I am seeing with navigation is that the bread crumb trail is always pointing due north, instead of the direction of travel. The 130 also has no issues telling you when to turn and the direction to turn. And Garmin plans to come up wit a fix for the due north problem.

I navigate courses using the 130 all the time going places I have never been before, 35 mile routes up to 60 miles, and I can say I have not gotten lost. The 130 has been pretty reliable.

• Thank you very much for these precious tools you're providing us with. One question I have, with these two solutions, will the waypoints be included into the gpx file and made readable through garmin connect to get turn-by-turn guidance in the end ?.

Good question! I will make a test soon...

• Thank you very much : I'm pretty much convinced, having examined all existing solutions or so, that this edge 130, once updated and with a well-thought procedure to calculate an itinerary online via the smartphone to send it then via bluetooth to the unit, will be a splendid companion for long-trailers quite unable while on their way to rely on some shabby laptop.

At first, I was a huge fan of brouter.de, whose algorithm still provides the groundwork for iOS and android app OSM and (with a full support, now, of gpx, navigation and trip planning). That's an excellent backup for the edge 130 (the map is there, just in case, or if you want to be playful and embark upon a sloppy improvisation).
  • (but it doesn't seem to integrate well the waypoints : the edge 130 then improvises – sometimes in a pretty decent way though)
  • I created a track on the google maps mobile site this morning. copied the link to https://mapstogpx.com/ - opened the gpx with Garmin connect. Sent the route to my Edge 130 and started the ride. Everthing is working fine - even turn indications. The only annoying thing is that the indications are always a bit too late (you're at the turn and the device says "20m to go". Also turn indications don't seem to work very well in roundabouts. But those issued have been posted here before.