This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 battery life

I did my first ~3.5 hour ride with the Edge 130. I started with full battery and it was at 50% afterwards. Promised are 15h. Doesn't add up for me!

Are there any settings that could save battery consumption? I switched on GPS only. Anything else that would help?
  • Same for me. I don't mind recharging between rides but it happens regularly that my rides are 3+ hours and I have seen my device turning off after 3:20 hours which becomes critical. Also I never got a low battery warning. Suddenly the device is off and I cannot power it on anymore, excepts the next day when the device got the time to adapt to the inside temperature of my house.

I am wondering if Edge 130's sold today got an improved battery? At least that is what you would expect if as a company you read so much complaints regarding battery life on your forum. However I fear asking for a replacement will make no sense. Maybe I should ask for a cashback and by an 830 instead.

• It seems to me that Garmin sees the 130 as their 'econo' model so have chosen not to stand behind their claimed 15 hour battery life. In warm weather I only get about 70% of that and only 25% in cold weather (10hrs. and about 3hrs.) I've been a happy and loyal Garmin user for almost 10 years, but I now see that I'm going to need to switch to Wahoo. At least when and if their products have issues they do their best to address it.

• This past Sunday I did a ride in ~1-2°C temps and it died after 3.5 hrs. And that was after having it on a charger the previous night and with no BT phone connection. IMO that is horrible. No where close to their claimed 15 hr battery life and Garmin needs to do something about it. I'm not holding my breath though..

• Yeah, was a brainfart. The bike is three years old; got the Edge later. That makes the battery flake out after two years. Nothing to write home about either...

• Cold Weather battery life on the 130 seems to be a known issue. Folks riding at sub-zero are reporting battery life of under 2 hours from full charge. And as per my replies below I'm only getting 3-4 hours at around 5C. Even with phone pairing turned off.

forums.garmin.com/.../edge-130-cold-weather-performance

• Update: did a longish ride out today (4.5 hours, of which 3.75 was moving). Warmer temperatures of 10-12C and used 50% battery (from full charge). Big improvement on when I used it at 5C or less when it was using closer to 100% over that sort of time period.

Other variables: this was after recent update to 3.60 and pretty much all features (phone pairing, beeps, screen backlight, alerts, laps, ...) turned off. But was paired with my HRM (ANT+) 

• Mine is giving me battery problems as well.When new I could do 9hrs (gps + heart rate + cadence, backlight off) now after about a year and a half it barely goes past 5hrs. I have to charge before each ride, given I do 3 ½ to 4hrs rides. Last ride it died right before the segment ended in a 40min climb, but I manage to restart it and the it lasted all the way back home.

• Read my post in the cold weather topic.

I changed the battery for a bigger (and new), si now i can ride more that 10 hours around zero celsius (with GPS+Galileo+Bt-SPD-CAD-HRM on and attached)

• Was changing the battery difficult? Is there a Garmin tech. on the procedure? Thanks.

• Not so difficult. If you are not a baker (sorry guys), it will go smooth.

Takes max. 20 mins. But it worth.

I am willing to help help if you are keen on it :-)