This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 battery life

I did my first ~3.5 hour ride with the Edge 130. I started with full battery and it was at 50% afterwards. Promised are 15h. Doesn't add up for me!

Are there any settings that could save battery consumption? I switched on GPS only. Anything else that would help?
  • Thanks to the diagnostic mode tip you gave me, I'm doing careful analysis of that figure twice a day and before and after every ride/active use so I can see any patterns (e.g. is it gradual or does it suddenly drop from say 60% to 0% etc)  and better idea of battery % usage over time ... to see if it really is that bad and/or help me understand when I should charge it to avoid it dying mid-ride.

I shall report back soon! :-) 

• My Edge 130 is about three years old, with almost daily use. the battery is getting flaky. today I stated the ride at four bars indicated battery reserve. It was just below freezing. After

• My Edge 130 is about three years old, with almost daily use. The battery is getting flaky. Today I started the ride at four bars indicated battery reserve. It was just below freezing. After a little less than an hour the device conked out. I'm down to having to fully charge the device for every 1h commute.

Pretty crappy, if you ask me. And, of course, no way to service the unit without risking to break the display.

• Sorry, but how have you been doing it for 3 years if the 130 is a 2018 model?

• Obviously the Edge 130 doesn't work very well in cold weather. My way to and from work is about 1:10 h. At the current temperatures of about -5 C degree, I usually barely make it home. If I make a detour of only 15 minutes, then the device says goodbye. That's quite far from 15 hous, isn't it?

• As promised I did more careful logging of the reported battery life using diag mode. Here's what I found

1. It took 1 week between a full recharge and the device dying. During that time I managed to get 5 hours of ride time out of it.

2. This was with phone pairing turned off. That did seem to improve things slightly because when it died before, I only got about 3 days and 3-4 hours of ride time.

3. Temperatures when in use were average of 4-6C. When turned off/not in use about 20C

4. Between active usage periods, reported battery life went *up* signicantly … possibly because temperatures rose and/or the battery 'recovers' when not in active use ?

4. Details

-- Monday Night after a 45 min ride: Battery reported at 92%

-- Tuesday Night after 1hr 45min of riding that day: Battery at 55%

-- Wednesday Night after no active use: Battery at 70%

-- Thursday Night after 1hr 30min active use: Battery at 35%

-- Friday Night after no active use: Battery at 55%

-- Saturday Night after no active use: Battery at 40%

-- Sunday Night after no active use: Battery at 40%

-- Monday Night after 1hour active use: Unit Dies during use. Diag mode on reboot shows battery at 15% … put on recharge

The data above in itself is fine. I don't mind recharging every few days, between rides. WHat worries me is … if I can't get more than 3-4 hours (phone paired) or 5 hours (not paired) on a single charge … that counts out rides of more than 100km, certainly in cool temperatures. I haven't tried that but it troubles me.

If this unit can't easily go for 8 hours of use between charges (i.e. 100+ mile days in the saddle), then I don't think it's fit for purpose.

I am going to engage direct with Garmin support and either get a replacement (perhaps mine has a weak battery), or a refund and buy a Wahoo instead <shrugs>

• My 130 died on me this weekend, during a 6 hour ride  After about 4 1/2 hour it's screen went blank. There were messages before, at the bottom of my screen, but I could not read them, because I was riding off road 

The reason why it went dead was not temperature (still between 15 and 20C), but lack of charging. I simply forgot to charge it after my last ride (2 1/2 - 3 hr).

So in fairly good weather (avg 20C) it lasted 7hr, maybe half an hour more.Not impressed.

This spring I did daytrips in lower temperatures and it didn't die. So did my battery get worse, or is v3.50 using more power?

Just read v3.60 is available...

• I’ll keep an eye out for 3.60 — mine hasn’t auto updated and I can’t see it on https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14147

yes ... 7 hours battery is borderline bearable but pretty poor TBH, I admit. I don’t do many 6+ hour rides (2-3 times a year?) ... but when I do is exactly when I want good bike computer support Rolling eyes

• My 130 has always lasted 7 hours, I use speed sensors and cadence with HR, in this cold season I don't use it and I don't know if it got worse.

• Well v3.60 has improved phone connectivity and according to 's reply without phone connectivity battery life improves. Hopefully that this improved phone connectivity uses less battery?