This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 battery life

I did my first ~3.5 hour ride with the Edge 130. I started with full battery and it was at 50% afterwards. Promised are 15h. Doesn't add up for me!

Are there any settings that could save battery consumption? I switched on GPS only. Anything else that would help?
  • Have a look at DCRainmaker - he is waiting to hear back from Garmin on that https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/garmin-edge-130-in-depth-review.html#comments comment number 278
  • I have reported the posts about battery life and Ray's comments to our team for investigation. Please reach out to our support team so we can make sure we gather your specific details. I will close the other thread to keep the discussion concise.
  • 2nd ride today - battery fully loaded. Navigation on, GPS + Galileo, after 2 hours battery warning. Kept running for further half an hour. Unfortunately it is difficult to determine exact percentage. The battery datafield battery is as well just the symbol - rubbish.
    Next ride I will use same features just backlight off. May need a few days. Currently no time for an everyday ride.
  • hulster, thanks for the update. Can you post a .fit file from one of your rides?
  • hulster, thanks for the update. Can you post a .fit file from one of your rides?

I did send you a PM with both rides. Exported as original from GC. If you need directly from the Edge please tell me.
  • hulster we had a look at your ride data and it looks like the device had 3 sensors paired and was running GPS+Galileo plus the backlight set to always on. The 130 display should not be required in normal daytime operation. This was likely the cause of your battery drain.

Listed below is our expectation for battery life on the Edge 130:

1: GPS / no sensors – up to 15 hours
    2.GPS / GLONASS or GALILEO / 2 sensors - 10 -12 hours
    3.GPS / GLONASS / 2 sensors / following a course - 10 hours
    4. High: GPS / GLONASS + 4 sensors (incl. power) + following a course - 10 hours

• Hi Shawn, the expectations are ok. JUST not the statement about backlight. I never experienced such a drain for any of you monochrome devices with backlight on.
    I am doing all year rides, which pratically means night rides for 1/3 year. This would make the device useless for me, as I can't press always a button to bring backlight on.
    Even my 1000 with backlight permanently on AND Navigation runs about 5-6 hours, same amount of sensors, GPS+GLONASS.
    To me there is something not ok with the backlight.

I owned a 500 and a 510 and kept backlight permently on and were far away from full drain even after 2 or 3 rides, so 6-8 hours total.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I will circle back to the Edge team on your concerns.
  • @Shawn-Garmin

Announced further test today. Fortunately on of my (2) CIQ data fields show battery status in percent. First of all I was wondering it shows only 93% but it was definitely fully charged. This is in sync with the battery symbol which shows a small space. Never saw this fully black. My 1000 shows 100% so.
    For the ride same as before. Navigation on, GPS + Galileo, 3 Sensors which is not unusual HF, Speed, Cadence.
    After 2:15 only 59% battery remaining. So 34% for just 2:15. This is disappointing. The Edge was announced as a long lasting monochrome. Even my Edge 1000 WITH BACKLIGHT, full map, coloured display last nearly that long. With backlight the 130 is far worse the 1000, WITHOUT full map, non-coloured.

Maybe you like check if you got a bunch of bad batteries for the first 130s produced? Should be possible to check if it delivers the planned amount of energy. Unfortunately no where the mAh is mentioned which could give an idea what is realistic. That I can't get the battery charged to 100% does not give me a good feeling.

EDIT: Little correction - got it loaded to 100%. Will check right in front of my next ride.