This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I correct an erroneous "Resting Heart Rate"

I cycle with HR strap and power meter pedals.
My fitness age used to be 32 (Edge 1030) with a resting HR of 47 (which is correct). With the Edge 1040 Solar it incorrectly thinks my resting HR is 90, which results in a fitness age of 64? It seems to be using the minimum HR during activities logged with the Edge 1040, which is not "resting" HR. How can I correct the resting HR, thus correcting the fitness age?

• Bonjour,

Je dispose de la forerunner 945 et je peux vous dire que ma fréquence cardiaque de repos enregistrée par la montre ne synchronise pas avec le edge 1040, mais j'ai déjà vu mon edge 830 se synchroniser, je ferai un test.

Cependant je l'ai enregistré manuellement dans le 1040 via garmin connect puis j'ai lancé une synchronisation du 1040

On peut aussi rentrer cette valeur directement sur le 1040 ou bien avec garmin connect mobile et faire la synchronisation

Pour le moment le edge 1040 ne donne pas satisfaction car il n'est pas abouti et il est cher pour quelque chose qui demande à être terminé.

Le 830 était mieux réussi, il s'est bonifié avec le temps et les quelques mise à jour, je peux vous dire que pour le moment j'aime utiliser le edge 830, des fois je regrette l'achat du 1040, mais j'ai confiance avec Garmin pour le bonifier, mais Garmin ne changera jamais ça manière de travailler, ils vendent des GPS et font les corrections après, si c'est possible de les faire...Espérons bénéficier d'une garantie de un an supplémentaire en guise d'échange d'être les cobayes pour Garmin... A bon entendeur...

• This is insane. Here's my chat with Garmin support in the US:

support: Checking on this for you. Waiting on a reply from my helpdesk. I believe you will need a device that will record all day heart rate data for this to work correctly.

me: I have one - it's an apple watch. Are you also saying that the manual entry of RHR is ignored by the device?

support: The apple watch is not compatible with our app. You need a Garmin watch that will give you all day heart rate data. The only HR data you have on your account is being calculated by the HR strap you are using during your activity.

support: So it won't provide RHR because it is not being calculated on the account.

support: You need to have data for HR that goes throughout the day and at night while you sleep.

me: So fitness age isn't a useful stat unless you have a Garmin watch is what you are saying?

me: I do have data for HR that goes throughout the day.

me: So unlike weight or age, it ignores my manually entered resting heart rate to calculate fitness age.

support: What Does Fitness Age Mean in Garmin Connect?Link. The first thing on this article is that is available on select Garmin watch's.

Seems strange that it's not clear and that it's a front-and-center stat that used to work.

support: You will need a device that records all day heart rate for this feature to work.

me: I have one.

me: You're saying the only way for fitness age to work is to buy a garmin watch.

me: This is not clearly disclosed.

support: Correct you will need a compatible Garmin device to get that data.

• So they admit it: 

From US Support: "You will need a compatible Garmin device to get that data." I explained that I entered the data manually and I have an Apple watch that gets RHR, but that apparently doesn't matter. They referred me to this article: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=CM1YJmMrrNAbEpM9PapJ07 where they seem to think they make this clear.

So, in short, we're SOL on fitness age on the 1040 unless we buy a Garmin watch.

• I happen to own a Garmin Venu Sq watch (I've been too cheap to buy an Apple watch), and I wear it all the time, except when showering and when riding.  I read the article, followed the steps outlined on the iPhone, and got a message that they needed my weight.  I already had my weight entered, but I saved it again, and lo and behold, I got an answer - 61.5 vs my actual age of 78.

Then, I powered on my Edge 1040, opened the menu, chose My Stats, then chose Fitness Age, and the same answer popped up.  I also got advice on lowering mt fitness age, by more vigorous activity and reduced body fat.  It says my potential gain is 0.5 years!

• The point is that we don’t want to buy a garmin Watch. We know it works with a watch, but we use an edge for (cycling) activities. And somehow garmin messed up with the RHR and fitness age calculation by providing this based on a RHR that the Edge will not properly record when you’re out riding. It worked fine before but now it’s messed up.

• Yes, I get that.  It seems like a simple thing to allow you to enter your data into Garmin Connect, and give you the result on your Edge 1040.

I just posted my experience because I hadn't been able to see Fitness Age on my 1040 until I read the article and followed the steps (even thought I had entered my weight previously).

• No matter what, a Garmin Watch or not, they are calculating fitness age based on wrong input. This leads to very misguiding recommendations from Garmin on how to lower the fitness age.

For me it recommends:
    More intensity workouts allthough my high intensity workout average is 2.2 days pr week
    It also recommends reducing BMI allthough it is at 21.9 ( my age is 49 ) 

And I think lowering my BMI by losing weight is bad advice..

So they need to fix this, so fitness age is only calculated when resting heart rate is sane, if this requires Garmin Watch, then Garmin needs to only calculate fitness age if resting heart rate data is available from such source.  

• Yes. Either don't calculate and promote it at all, or allow us to manually enter RHR the same way we do weight and age. Even better, make it compatible with Apple Watch, the device that millions of people already wear.

• My prio 1 top recommendation is now to lower my RHR which connect has now based on my cycling activity 120bpm. While my real RHR is 50 or below. Go figure. They evidently changed the algoritme / way it calculates the fitness age because before it was fine.

• The funny thing is you can set your RHR manually in the edge. On your heart rate zone page. I have set this to 50 long time ago but clearly connect is not using this value.