This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1030 Firmware 4.0

Here's what I think I learned:

• Don't expect your Cadence Sensor to update....  Garmin says it does not require software updates:  https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=PzqFFaxR7l6NZtF8lTlXj9
    • Note that my Cadence Sensor self identifies in the Garmin Edge as a '20' not a '2'...  Garmin should be more respectful of this
  • I think the Firmware update/connect fail message for the Speed Sensor is errant in some cases (an update firmware flaw)
    • I too received the fail notification, but then I interrogated the sensor in my Garmin Edge and there it registered as current to the 4.0 update
    • In my case it appears the install tool throws a false error notification as my Edge clearly shows the Speed Sensor as Firmware 4.0 updated
  • Not sure this will help anyone but for me it was somewhat reassuring to see that my Edge 1030 Plus at least says the Speed Sensor is updated to 4.0 despite the annoying fail message that persists..
  • I get the “connection  failed” msg at 14% or just connection failed. I checked my speed sensor from my Garmin 1030 which shows software version - - -.  

Edge 1030 software version 13.40, GPS 2.50, TSC 85.11.00, WLAN 2.10, Connect IQ 3.3.1

• With Googling you are the only I found with something similar: I got a Garmin Edge (yeah no number), started telling me my speed sensor needs an update. Well fine. Mine gets to around 50%, and then connection fails. Last attempt it failed pretty much directly.

Now while typing this, adding your info and mine up, I suddenly wondered: What if the battery is the issue? Yeah it showed battery okay in the information, but writing its own flash memory takes quite some energy, maybe a lot more than sending some ANT messages. Well that is easy enough to check (especially since I already removed battery a few times to make it connect again): Put in a new battery. And tada, update worked and was succesfull :). Of course afterwards it directly had no connection again, but a reboot of my Edge fixed that.

I couldn't give a flying *** about the software update, it worked fine with the old software. But didn't want it nagging me every time I started a ride. Of course would have been nice if Garmin handled this better.

• Ha, points for thinking through that obstacle course.   I'm with you, sensor SW update...  don't give a rip but like you the nagging message to update had me rather annoyed.

• after months of "connection failure" and "remind me later"  changing the battery got it updated.  I hope this makes me faster on my bike.  on to the next garmin frustration