This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Firmware 9.50 stalled?

Phased Rollout is at 10% on 5/18 at 4pm.

The rollout seems to have stalled at 10%.

Any ideas when it will continue?

Was a problem identified?

• People should take more care in choosing where they download crap from. 

• Or the third option is for people to stop downloading anything Google offers them and just wait for the official download to be available to them. Phased rollouts are a common practice and  exist for a reason.

• Martin868,  - Yes they should.  I totally agree.   BUT I've been in the position Garmin is, having worked for an embedded systems company before.  Eventually you have to protect your company brand from folks that would download from wherevs and then blame you for it...  Idiots in the time of social media are freaking weaponized.  My point is by providing the download for the minority of customers that would download it separately, solves/works around the problem of going the more expensive route of signed firmware..

• Yeap, agree on that , but the link for downloading the firmware over here should be deleted by them or rejected the user , it is posted on Garmin oficial page, don't you think?

• The only reason anyone is downloading fake firmware (what kind of fake was it anyway?) is because Garmin were not allowing them to download the actual firmware. I've no problem with phased rollouts as long as there is a way to get the latest firmware if you need it (like if you're running the beta and want to get the production version). This is the way companies like Apple do it, wait and you get the phased rollout, or go grab the release yourself now. I see the 9.50 release has now been posted for those who want to try it, and I think it's the right thing to do.

I'd also like to be able to opt into betas, would be nice to be able to opt-in on the device and be notified if a beta is available, and do you want to install it? Would mean more beta testers, better data and therefore improved quality.

• 9.50 wasn't posted on the Garmin page initially, leaving open the door for bad actors to do it instead.  Combine with a stalled rollout, some existing bad issues in almost all prior firmware versions, and you have the opportunity for a bad actor do stuff, and gullible people to do it.  Garmin hasn't been security focused at all, but that really needs to change with the ability to run apps and all the connectivity that a modern Garmin device has.. Someone putting up a (thankfully mostly harmless) "not 9.50" firmware is a pretty good wakeup call.

Should you download from somewhere other than Garmin?  Obviously - NO. :)  But lets get real - without signed firmware that prevents you from installing anything other than firmware signed with a Garmin Cryptographic key, Garmin needs to provide firmware downloads when it releases the firmware.  

• Totally right and lots of sense, it was my mistake not wait for Garmin Connect firmware , just thought downloading from this page, for some reason, will be secure, I was wrong. But again thanks for your comments Jeff and all of people who write theirs here, now I will have to wait for the Garmin signed one to come from Garmin Connect which I do hope will be soon.

Just wondering if they will do that exactly day before , same day o days after, their announcement of new Edge 1030plus or whatever they named finally.

Thanks

• Just in case for folks reading - It's OK to download from the Garmin-Matthew link or other official/stickied firmware announcement link up at the top of the forum.  https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-1030/226368/new-edge-1030-and-edge-1030-bontrager-version-9-50-now-available   (do NOT download from other links in the forums)

For the secure/signed firmware - that's a MAJOR change and wouldn't be done lightly.  When we did that at a previous company, we had several unsigned firmware releases in the field first that would accept a new signed release (and had parallel signed releases being tested) before we unleashed a signed release due to it being a one-way upgrade.  It's better to start off with a new device that's firmware is signed to start with.

- I've upgraded from 9.48 to 9.50 from the link.  Had the same upgrade issue that have been having where my 1030 will lockup on the initial reboots, and then be fine afterwards.  Garmin has a ticket on it and are actively looking into it as they asked for more logs from me.  That bug doesn't seem to be widespread - or at least I don't think it is(?)..  For the radios - Livetrack was rock solid (have NOT had an issue there since the 9.3x beta's), and the sensors and radar were rock solid on a 40 mile ride right after flashing, which is a first for me since 9.x released.  So far - operationally its fine for me.  I'm hopeful that's how it'll continue to behave.

• A very simple solution: as soon as Garmin makes a new firmware file available for download, they should provide us with a CRC checksum, so we can check the authenticity of the file. Any tampered files will fail the CRC checksum.

• The point is, when do you installed ( copied ) into directory it’s okay.

when you connect thru Garmin connect still says version 9.10 while on Edge 9.50