This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sharing file between devices (WORKAROUND)

The sharing of files such as routes between devices remains COMPLETELY BROKEN.  I have on several instances tried to share a route from one Edge 1030 to another and it always fails. First, usually the receiving device never sees the sending device. If it does, it takes 30-60 seconds to find the other device. Then more often than not, it sees the device but never sees the files which are being shared. Quite often, as it is connecting, it gets a "Connection Failed" message.

I have tried multiple devices, 1030 -> 1030,  1030 -> 830.  All devices have the latest firmware and some even the latest beta 9.48 (for the 1030) and 5.10 for the 830.

On a hunch, I turned off both cell phones which were BT connected to each device and then re-attempted the device transfer and it worked. The discovery of the device was faster and the file transfer worked. Once, it got a "Connection Failed" message.  

Bottom line is that you have a conflict with BT when trying to perform the file transfer if the device has an active BT connection to a cell phone.   I have reported this to the BETA mail address.

SO, if you are trying to transfer files from one device to another, TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONES TEMPORARILY to transfer the files.

Update:  Both the sender and receiver phones must not be BT connected for the transfer to work...

• I was hoping this phone off workaround would work for me... no luck. I have an Edge 1030 that flatly refuses to 'accept' the transfer. I have an 830, 520, 1030 Plus, and another 1030 that all work flawlessly for transferring files. The 1030 that always says 'Transfer failed' when it goes to sync the selected file has been hard reset (no luck) and the latest public beta firmware installed (as of May 18 2021) and still doesn't work.

Very strange to have two 1030 units here with one working and one not when following the same process. 

(I was looking at doing a YouTube video on how handy this feature is..... which has turned into losing an afternoon finding out how frustrating it is!) ;) 

• The sharing of files such as routes between devices remains COMPLETELY BROKEN. 

I've shared routes from my 1030 with other Edge users on numerous occasions ... it generally works fine.

• Generally works fine ? In fact, you never know. I have complained numerous time about this feature. It's kind a hit or miss function. It's still buggy after 4 years. I know because me and my wife both use a 1030. No problem exchanging with an Edge 1000.We now use RideWGPS IQ with pinned rides.  

• Yop it never really works. I had success but it is hit and miss. Easier to share using the mobile app and SMS

• How do you send a route to your Edge using the Mobile App and SMS ???  I have RWGPS on my iPhone but never found a wireless way to transfer a route to a GPS...

• I've shared routes with 1000, 830, & 520 users with no problem.

• Me too...No problems with 1000, 830 or 530. But I have problems sharing routes between Edge 1030. It's a hit or miss experience. My wife and I used to have Edge 1000. Never had a problem. Now, we both have 1030. Same firmware. 

• I was replying to the post which is about sharing between two different users both on Garmin. In that case the method I follow is this. The route must be in Garmin Connect (web and mobile). 

1) On Connect mobile, open the route/course. Open the menu and select Share. If that is not available make sure the course is Public and not Private. On the iPhone the iOS share sheet opens, and you can send the link to the course via email or SMS. Whatever. It is a web link that you send and this link is only usable if the course is public.

2) The recipient open the link on his iPhone. The Connect Mobile app will open that link automatically. That use then use the Send to Device function to send to his Edge device. So this is all wireless, from one user to another.

Now regarding your new question which is how to send the course/ route from RWGPS to the Edge, that is not the topic here but there are several ways. 

1) If you have both the RWGPS app and the Connect Mobile app on your iPhone, open the route in RWGPS and download it as a GPX. iOS will open the share sheet asking you where to send the GPX. You can actually send it directly to the Connect Mobile app if you choose "Save to Garmin Connect". Connect mobile will then import the GPX and turn it into a Connect course. From there Send to Device to send it to the Edge. 

2) There is a RWGPS ConnectIQ app for the Edge. If you install that on the Edge, when you open that CIQ app on the Edge you can access your favorite routes from RTWGPS and go from there. 

3) Alternatively or similarly, if you have the GPX already on your iPhone in the Files app, you can open that file with Connect Mobile, which will import it in your courses .and you take it from there.

Hope this helps.