This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

route calculations with 3 party maps doesnt work

Hi guys 

i have allways used 3rd party routable maps from openstreetmap.nl and it has allways worked but now suddenly my edge cannot calculate routes when that map is enabled ?? 

if all basemaps and the 3rd party map is enabled then the 3 suggestion routes doesnt find anything and it doesnt work on adress search either but is i disable the 3rd party map then everything works again 

anyone else seen this ?
has garmin made a limitation to try and push sales of their own maps 

• I always use 3rd party maps, but I never ever use routing. I do my routing on the phone or preferably the computer and send the route to the Edge. But I suggest you search the forums about this issue since it has been reported before. I may have something to do with popularity routing that you must disable or other newer features that 3rd party maps cannot support. My recommendation to you is however to build the route using the Garmin Connect Mobile app and send it to the edge.

• Other way to use is to disable Turn-by-Turn navigation and Off-Corse alerts. When you do that it won't compute a route so you have no error, but still display your course as the magenta line. Just an option.  I personally use it that way most of the time - I still get the route metrics i.e. distance to next etc but I am not bothered with the TBT prompts which I rather not get on routes I know. It allows me to wander off course and come back without the Edge navigation getting lost.

• Nomatter What it cannot calculate a route with the third party map 

only if i load a finished route 

something definately happened because i never seen this before with all maps activated 

an excample 

i type in an address and it try to calculate a route 

it never finished with the third party map activated but as soon as i deactivate the map it finishcalculation within few seconds

• Last thing. When using third party map you must disable the garmin cycle map. Not all garmin maps, only that one. Otherwise map conflicts lead to unpredictable results. Disabling maps is done on a per activity profile basis. So if you use several you must repeat the steps. 

• That was the first thing i tryed to disable all Garmin maps and with absolutely Zoro succes’s it never finish the calculation When third party map is enabled 

the Strange thing os i have had third party maps enabled all along since device was new and never seen this issue before even though all maps has been activated 

• I've just tested on my edge with 8.34b & I'm not having any problems with route calculations.

I'm also using a openstreetmap.nl map (UK Generic Routable New Style) & the only other maps enabled are the Garmin Basemap, DEM & Geocode Maps. Do you get any error messages popping up when the route calculation fails?

• Nope no error message it just never finish the calculation 

but my map is the routable bicycle map which i have used for 2-3 years ? 
    could that be the issue that something changed there ? 

• I don't know if that is the reason I usually update mine every few months when I have the edge connected to a PC. You could try updating the map to eliminate it.

Are you using the same activity profile you've previously used? Also have you changed anything in your activity profile regarding routing or avoidance, which might have stopped the routing from working?

• Done the same Routing with updating every 2 month or so 

and no changes on any of my activity profiler 

but i Think ill try the New style map instead and see if that works but if not ill make do with garmin map

• I use the OSM maps because the Garmin map routing is terrible in the UK. I find the Generic Routable maps (mostly) work great for me. Which Country Are you in? 

Have you tried as @Martin868 suggested and disabled the Garmin cycle maps leaving your OSM map & the Garmin DEM, Geocode & Basemap enabled?

Also do you have any other 3rd Party OSM maps on the edge?