This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1030 disconnects from Varia RTL510 in same place on route

OK, this is really weird... I've had my Varia RTL for nearly a year now and it is generally very reliable. I get the occasional "Radar Disconnected" message now and again but it always reconnects in straight away.

What I do find very strange however is that it always disconnects at a point 3km from home on the same road without fail. And when I say "at the same point" I mean within a 10 metre zone. All my routes are different distances and speeds so I can rule those out as culprits. 

Any ideas anyone? Is there likely to be some very localised radio transmitter that interferes with the Bluetooth signal?

Grateful for any suggestion, please.

• It could be radio interference. I've seen reports from people riding near the radar systems at airports.

Check that you have the latest software installed (build 3.70). This addressed some issues with multiple signals that could cause it to disconnect.

• Try the last stable firmware or the most recent beta (9.34) on edge 1030. (Betas between 9.34 and last stable were suffering this issue, however varia firmware could be also the responsible) 

Actually it appeared to me a random disconnection, it was maybe due to some interference.

Also I suggest as well to install the most recent firmware on the Varia too.

• He is telling you about updating the radar firmware, not the Edge firmware. Connect your radar to your computer, add it to Connect Express like you would for a Edge or watch, and update its FW from there.

• I meant this on Garmin 1030 firmware update:

Change History

Changes made from version 9.31 to 9.34:

• Fixed a crash on the keyboard page.
    • Fixed an issue that caused bike radar disconnections.
  • I'm still getting some disconnections with 9.34 to my RTL-500, but still less than 9.10.  (just got a RTL-510 and haven't tested it yet.)  But it wasn't limited to just radar, both the ant+ and bluetooth radios intermittently lose sensors and the phone connection and bounce back.  That's an improvement as the phone used to drop and never reconnect.   The radios have been something Garmin's been struggling with almost the whole time with the 1030.

• Just to set the record straight, both my Edge 1030 and my Varia have the latest firmware updates. I'm still guessing it's a localised bit of radio interference.

• Just to set the record straight, both my Edge 1030 and my Varia have the latest firmware updates. I'm still guessing it's a localised bit of radio interference.

Could be.  Used to be a spot in town (under some large power lines) that would cause my hr belt to report 240.  The introduction of Ant+ fixed that.

You've got 9.34 beta installed on the 1030?

• Yes, 9.34 on my 1030. Just the same as all previous firmware versions Thinking