This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1030 - screen non-responsive for a period after starting whilst wearing gloves

My Edge 1030 will not respond to screen swipes "for a initial period" whilst wearing gloves. It is OK with bare hands. Just occasionally (with lots of random 'prodding & gestures!) I can get the 'status' screen (the one that appears if swiping down from the top) to display, but I can never scroll left/right between data screens. The weird part is that the problem clears up after a period. I have not been able to deduce how long this period of non-responsiveness is, it's at least half an hour. Usually I forget about it (or take my gloves off so I can get to the screen I want displayed), get into the ride & then sometime late realise that it's working again! (with my gloves on). I have tried adjusting the 'sensitivity' in the ride profile settings - this makes no difference. 

I do have a screen protector fitted, I'm reluctant to remove this, even as a test measure as I'd have to buy a replacement. The key to me seems to be that the device is initially unresponsive, and then sorts itself out sometime later, meaning it's not the screen protector.

Glad of your thoughts on this.

• Are you using the conductive gloves required by the 1030? Perhaps it starts working with the gloves due to perspiration which will act as a conductor.

• Although the edge operation with gloves is pretty poor across the board I find it happens more with me due to temperature differentials when moving indoors > outdoors especially in winter. Once the edge temperature stabilises I find the touchscreen is more responsive

• Thanks. I was not aware that the Edge 1030 needed conducting gloves, my 1000 didn't & I'd be surprised if this was s requirement for the 1030 - after all we are cyclists, we don't choose our gloves depending on whether they will work with the Garmin or not. Not like a mobile phone screen which relies on conduction. I thought the Garmin screen uses pressure sensing.

• Thanks hotdog (good user name!). Interesting thought about the temperature difference, I'll do some tests by leaving the unit outside for an hour or so before I head out to see if this makes a difference for me. Cheers

• 1030 definitely needs touch screen gloves. I have both 1000 and 1030, and none of my old gloves without the touch screen fingertips work with the 1030, but they all work with the 1000.

• Completely different type of screen on the 1030. It's similar to cell phones I believe. I can't remember what it is called. What I have done since I have several pairs of gloves that I'm fond of, I bought conductive thread and sewed it into one of the finger tips of the gloves. Works great and saves the cost of buying new gloves. Thread is sold on Amazon.

• Thanks for the replies.

GARMIN SUPPORT - assuming you monitor forum posts, please could you step in & give a definitive answer - does the Garmin Edge 1030 require 'special' gloves to operate the screen? Is the screen operated by pressure or conductivity?Thanks 

• assuming you monitor forum posts

No guarantee, as this is a user-to-user community forum. We try to help each other if possible. Occasionally Garmin staff will step in. Meanwhile, best to contact support via phone, chat, or email  - https://support.garmin.com

• I looked up the different type screens .

The 1000 and other touch screen Edges had a resistive type screen. This screen was sensitive to the touch of a human finger or a stylus.

The 1030 has a capacitive touch screen which uses the conductive touch of a finger for input.

There have been several discussions on this forum about this so do a search for additional information.

• I find that as I warm up and my hands get "moist" the screen becomes more responsive.  Can definately be unresponsive at the start when my hands are dry.  Assume the moisture aids conductivity for the capacitive screen.