This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What does the pushpin on the map mean during pan?

Tapping the screen places a push pin which seems to label what it is pointing at with a small square on its tip clearly showing where it is representing. Placing that precisely with a finger is not easy, and on a map that reaches a cluttered level of detail and with no POI labels it can be useful to bring up a description. When panning there is never any small square at the point of the pin and it only gives a distance and compass direction. On my Montana 680 I can point to roads, POIs, and areas to get a description of what it is and easily mark a point from it and it continues to give me that feedback when panning which makes precise positioning much more achievable.

• I don't see a small square at the pin. It looks like it is meant to be the shadow of the pin. Have you tried zooming in while panning? I don't find it too difficult to move the pin to the location I need to go and then start the navigation.

•   As a two step process sure, but the pin details are lost if I pan instead of tap to place it despite zoom. The box shows only for about 5 seconds and is only 5 pixels by 5 pixels with white outer box, black middle box and white center dot and actually only seems to show if tapping on a describable object and occasionally at other items as clicking right next to a bus stop near my house doesn't describe the stop and clicking on the stop highlights the entire stop. It works for the named street I live on but not the alley behind me. Tapping on areas that are not described still lists the coordinates in addition to distance and compass direction but once I pan I the description/coordinates becomes blank unless I tap on it again. Doesn't seem to matter if i pan to land the pin on the same item or elsewhere. Clicking on the blank header brings up a description page so I can choose to navigate to that point, but it takes me to the last tapped location, not where the pushpin was panned to.

Seems it would make more sense to either refresh the details based on where the pin is after letting go of the screen during a pan (or refresh frequently/live during but not sure how slow/power-greedy that calculation would be). If not, leaving the pin, and the header details as they were before the pan would make sense too.

• You have lost me on this one. This box that shows for five seconds does not appear on my device.

• on v9 firmware with latest map update for North America navigation>browse map and tap on the residential road outside my house that is named works. The header up top will then name the road and the 'small' box makes the intersection between the pin and the road stand out more. I got out a magnifier trying to get a pixel count but it can help see it in general as its small enough to expect it would just be overlooked. Was visible with map on night appearance making that intersection between pin+road stand out more. Does seem object dependent so may need a different road clicked on.