This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin just lowered the 1030 price to $449. New model coming out?

Garmin is now selling the 1030 for $449. Usually when Garmin drops the price significantly, it means a new model is about to be introduced.

• Garmin is promoting the lower price as part of their holiday sale, so it's hard to say if the lower price is just for the sale or permanent, pending a new device. BikeTiresDirect says the sale ends Dec 2. 

• Garmin usually release devices either in April (Edge 1000, 520 Plus 530/830) or in July/August (520, 820, 1030). The only device they've ever released between October and March has been the 510/810 back in 2013. Still, it would be nice to see a faster 1030 with a better screen, as Garmin must be aware it lags behind the 530/830.

• How do those screens differ from the 1030 other than size?

• Hopefully its updated radio hardware to stop giving fits for the ever present livetrack connection problems and the lesser seen but still annoying sensor issues.  (or maybe take a page from the Karoo and add a SIM card to do away with the phone dependencies altogether).

• or maybe take a page from the Karoo and add a SIM card to do away with the phone dependencies altogether

but isn't that going to kick in another device fee with the carrier?

• but isn't that going to kick in another device fee with the carrier?

Yes, although I figure the legacy phone connection would still be there for those not using the sim.   Carriers like T-mobile have a low cost IOT plan for fitness devices.   Livetrack as it is now is such a intermittent disaster to make the SIM card worth it, to me anyway.   Works well on the Karoo (and yes I'm now routinely running two cycle-computers...).  My wife freaks now when the tracking isn't updating.  Contrast to just 10 years ago when it wasn't available and I could just go out and ride for a couple of hours without her calling to check on me if I've stopped for too long...  Slight smile  

• No thanks. I already pay additional LTE fees for two Apple Watches. I'm not paying fees for two Garmins on top of that. I have a thought: Garmin should just fix their damn problems with connectivity. Why should I have to pay $hundreds a year because they can't? With all due respect I vote a solid NO for the SIM card suggestion.

• The Karoo turned out to be a disaster. I don't think they ever got the the SIM card to work correctly. I don't see any reason to put a SIM card in the Edge. Might as well just use your smart phone instead of a bike computer.

• Better contrast and colour mostly. 

• Karoo works fine now.  (Only took a year or so...  and still not my preferred, Garmin's ecosystem is more complete/mature)   But was just using that as an example of getting around the smartphone dependency that is creating the biggest headache for Garmin's SW/HW engineering.  I really don't want my smartphone on the front.  Tried that, and it's too risky having an expensive device up front that isn't designed for that type of hostile environment.