This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't upload courses

I haven't been able to upload course files for the last week. I've successfully uploaded courses many times in the past. Is anybody else having this problem?

• That's right. They disappear from NewFiles and don't show up on the Edge. 

Which format do you prefer for importing? I like to have turn announcements show up on all screens

• On RideWithGPS there are several GPX options and you must be careful what you do. The default works with the Edge. But some options remove the track from the file and are not usable by the Edge. I am quite sure if you tick the one with turn announcements it won't work. You leave this out, the Edge will compute it's own if you enable Turn-by-Turn navigation on the Edge.

• FIT, TCX, and GPX (track*) all work the same for turn guidance (the big white arrows).

They all contain the same information.

These files (these are all track files) have a list of points that trace the curves and turns of the path you plan to follow. The Garmins calculate the turn guidance by walking the track and matching it up to the nearest road.

The units convert TCX and GPX to FIT.

FIT and TCX can contain "course points", which pop-up as text with a black background. This is a separate (parallel) navigation mode. It was originally intended for devices that didn't have maps.

Your unit appears to be seeing the gpx format as invalid. This isn't a general problem because we'd likely be hearing a lot about it. 

If the other formats work, use them instead. 

----------------------------------------

* The non-track GPX options won't work. If you are using GPX on the Edges, you must use GPX track.

• My point was that if you read carefully the options when generating GPX and TCX on the RideWithGPS site, under export, some options generate a file with clue sheets but NO track information. The XML is then a simple list of waypoints with no route or track in it. I am not making this up, it is clearly stated.  (click Export and then Other Formats to see all the options).  The one without the track they call it GPX Route if I am not mistaken while the other is called GPX Track. Totally confusing but hey that's the way it is.

• That's why I said "GPX (track)". The other GPX options (route and cuesheet) won't work.

There's no reason to use GPX from RWGPS for the Edges (some hiking units can only use GPX).

Use FIT or TCX.

• I'm having the same problem as the original person who posted. I'm trying to upload a .fit to my garmin 1030. It's in newfiles but it's not uploading to my garmin. When I go back and look in newfiles it's still there. I've deleted it and uploaded it many times without success. I need a suggestion that hasn't been made yet. I've tried all of the above. This is a new issue for me, 

• From RWGPS export as a GPX instead of FIT and give that a try. Sometimes working around an issue is the way to solve it. I always use GPX with no problem what so ever. 

• Another idea. My personal workflow is usually not to go straight to the Edge. Rather I export the GPX from RWGPS, then on the Garmin connect website go Courses and Import. I import in my courses in my account. When that process is completed, I use the Garmin Connect Mobile app to transfer it to the Edge via Bluetooth. If there is an issue with the file the Import process will give you a message - the Edge is not.

• it's unusual for the fit file to remain in the newfiles folder even if there is a problem with the upload. Can you post the course file you are trying to upload?

• I think the Garmin deletes the file before converting it. That way, if the conversion process causes the unit to crash, it won't keep trying to convert the broken file every time it restarts.

That the file remains in NewFiles suggests (to me) that the device isn't seeing the file. Maybe, because the file name isn't quite right or it's not looking at the folder (maybe, it's on an SD card?). Maybe, the file system is corrupted.

=================

Or a link to the page...