This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 1030 Public Beta 8.07 Now Available

A new Beta software for the Edge 1030 has been released. Full change log, instructions, and software for installing the beta can be found here.

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 8.06 to 8.07:

• Fixed an issue with pairing to iPhone 11.
  • Fixed a shutdown related to using Connect IQ data fields.
  • Fixed a shutdown on the inReach widget.
  • Fixed an issue where ClimbPro could report inaccurate information.

Changes made from version 8.00 to 8.06:

• Added support for Connect IQ 3.1.
  • Added support to control Garmin inReach remotely.
  • Made improvements to indoor cycling user experience.
    - Improved smart trainer discovery and initial setup experience when using an Indoor activity profile.
    - Improved the Follow Course experience by enabling UI (map, ClimbPro, Elevation, etc) and data recording from the simulated course.
    - Made improvements to smart trainer sensor calibration.
  • Made improvements to Workout user experience.
    - Added FTP line to workout comparison displays.
    - Allow graphical workout data fields to be configured on regular data screens.
    - Improved the display for open steps on the workout comparison graph.
  • Made improvements to the ClimbPro user experience.
    - Made ClimbPro available for navigation to a location and for round-trip courses.
    - Added a setting in the ClimbPro data screen setup to specify which climbs should be detected (All, Medium/Large, Large Only).
    - Removed the ClimbPro page from the timer loop if there are no climbs left in the ride.
  • Made improvements to the Segment user experience.
    - Fixed an issue where segments with slashes in the name would not be processed and would create subfolders on the file system.
    - Fixed an issue where the segment leader could get reset during a sync.
    - Added setting in the Segments menu to set a Default Leader Priority, which allows the user to set a default leader to apply to all segments.
  • Fixed an issue where the GPS track locked to the road inaccuarately.
  • Improved Firstbeat heat acclimation by utilizing weather forecasts.
  • Fixed an issue where Battery Save Mode could stop working mid-ride.
  • Show the jump prompt for each jump in cases where there are multiple jumps in a row.
  • Fixed issues with the heart rate graph data field.
  • Fixed an issue that caused Auto Detect Max HR to always be enabled.
  • Improved the y-scaling on the elevation profile.
  • Added directional arrows for round trip courses.
  • Fixed cosmetic issues with Extended Display mode.
  • Added additional info to the nutrition/hydration settings page
  • Turned backlight on when the user laps or there is an autolap during an activity
  • Automatically sized the text in the elevation data field.
  • Improved overall device stability by fixing crashes and freezes.
  • Great improvement! No problems noticed. Happy days!

• Some feedback from my time with the 8.07 beta today.

1. I'm liking the way that climbpro is heading, there's still some Idiosyncrasies with how it identifies climbs & defines the colour coding for the gradients of sections of the climb, but it’s getting there. The climb detection options, climb detection when navigating on the fly and distance to next climb displayed in the header on the climbpro screen are great additions.

There are some things I did spot….

• When on the climb the gradient colour coding as the climb progresses doesn’t always follow what is displayed in the climb preview that is displayed as the climb approaches. There were some sections of the climbs I was on today where the climb preview showed some ‘black’ & ‘red’ sections. However once on the climb they were never displayed.

• When on the penultimate climb (5/6) there is no ‘distance to next climb’ displayed in the header. I would only have expected this to occur when actually on the last climb

1. One long standing issue, which has never been resolved is; if you are recording an activity & start navigating to a place/poi etc, the Garmin knows how much height you will gain to the destination, which decrements as you progress & now recognises the climbs en-route but you don’t get an elevation profile displayed of the calculated route on the Elevation screen. If you select the same place/poi to navigate to before you start your activity you do get an elevation profile???

1. Apps & Widgets, which communicate with a mobile device to download routes, which are either locally stored via a companion app or via a website would take less than a minute to download to the edge with f/w 8.0. Since 8.06/8.07 they either no longer work or take the best part of 10 minutes to download. I’ve tried this with the Grouteloader, Gimporter & IQ Map Receiver apps all with the same results. The Ride with GPS app doesn’t work at all & remains at the initial app ‘Loading’ phase, never progressing any further. Has the CIQ 3.1 SDK screwed up the device communications module?

1. When out on a ride & you select to navigate ‘Back to Start’ the map that is displayed before you hit ‘Ride’ zooms in to your start point (ie destination) at a ridiculously small scale (5 meters). If instead you do a search for & select the same location; the map that is displayed zooms to show your current location & and your destination at a much more sensible scale

1. If navigating a course & go off course even momentarily the elevation screen changes from showing the up & coming profile of your course to displaying your elevation history. It also dynamically changes the y-scale to whatever it thinks is best for the displayed history. So now you can’t stop off-course to preview what’s ahead on your course. I would imagine this would also be the case if you went into a tunnel or were in an area where the GPS was struggling to get an accurate location. When you regain the course the elevation profile does revert back to display the course profile however the y-axis remains at the setting that it automatically changed to when you left the course  

Some good news was that the edge was pretty stable throughout my ride & phone connection was pretty solid. Though I do find that when my edge is connected to the phone it seems to hammer the battery life. Other than smart notifications of which there aren’t many I don’t have any of the other functions like LiveTrack, Incident Detection, Bike Alarm, Weather etc enabled. The Edge Connection message is pretty useless IMO, if the phones in my pocket I can’t see the flipping message anyway. Does anyone know the intended purpose of this?

I’ll pop these in an email to the beta team too in case they’re not reviewing this forum. Happy Pedalling

• "The Edge Connection message is pretty useless IMO, if the phones in my pocket I can’t see the flipping message anyway. Does anyone know the intended purpose of this?"

There are some cool IQ data fields that use the connection to the phone. I could not care less about uploading files via the phone other than that.

• At some IQ datafields only the IQ logo is shown.

• first check on V8.07  ==> Climb Pro doesn't work for round-trip >100km. If you save the round-trip as course and reload it...then it's working.

I've sent the "Feedback Reporting Form" with the bug to GARMIN

Guido

• After a bugfix of the IQ app (MY EDGE2) it works.

• Hopefully it is me only, but yesterday on my ride my device kept crashing multiple times.

Here are the sequence of events:

1. While still at home, via the Strava IQ app I copied over a new route - went well, then I hit "Navigate"

2. The above was before my power meter (Favero Duo via ANT+), HR sensor (Wahoo via ANT+) and speed sensors (Garmin via ANT+) were connected.

3. Went out, everything got connected, no visible issues - Zero offset was ok, LiveTrack strated, all good.

4. I was on the navigation screen, but decided that I want to swipe over to my data screen... BOOM! Device reset... Restarted and I could continue the ride. It started however on my data screen.

5. Hoping that it was one off occasion, I swiped back to navigation screen... BOOM! Device reset... 

6. Started again in Data screen mode, just for fun decided to swipe back to Navigation - yes, you guessed it right, device reset

7. Continued the rest of the ride, counting only on navigation pop-ups while staying on the data screen

8. Upload of the ride was ok...

Now, important remark - the device crashed for the first time on 8.06, hence I upgraded to 8.07, but apparently got worse. I am willing to keep it that way if this could help Garmin to troubleshoot...

Will be sending a report via "Feedback Form" as well.

• Just updated to 8.08, let's see if the above behavior would disappear...

• On the last couple of rides with Beta 8.07 I have noticed ANT+ disconnects - which I have not experienced for a long, long time ...

On one ride the Garmin Varia Radar was not found, selecting the sensor and clicking connect did not work.  Putting the Edge to sleep and waking back up found the Varia.

On another ride my SRAM Quarq power meter disconnected after about 2 hours.  Clicking sensor connect and also trying sleep/wake on Edge still did not re-connect so I wrongly assumed the Quarq battery had died.  Half an hour later in the ride the Quarq just reconnected to the Edge on its own - and yes the battery was fine!

I am going to upgrade to 8.08 and see if these problems still persist.

• Steve, The same issues exist with 8.08 so if that's your only reason to update I'd hold out for the next release