This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1000 - GPS+GLONASS problem

Last 3 years, my EDGE 1000 works perfectly and I had always turned-on GPS+GLONASS by default. Last 3 days I´m facing first time with "not acquiring satellites" issue. I reset it on factory settings but it doesn´t helps.

If I use only GPS, then it finds satellite and works normally. When I choose GPS+GLONASS, it finds satellites every 10 - 15 mins for 4-5 sec. and most of time is in searching mode, without connection.

Bluetooth & WiFi is OFF by default.

It is updated on latest version v15.20.

Please help

• I check on Friday and I think everything works fine now

• Problem is also with Galileo, it doesn’t really matter . Keep switching between the two options it sometimes helps but a lit of stress during serious training king or race 

• Hi Matthew - is there any update on this issue please?

• My edge 1000 cannot acquire satellite as well. My Fenix 5x has no problem.  What gives?

• I am having the same issue. Also Edge 1000. Also GPS+GLONASS had worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. Now that is very wonky, constantly losing satellites, Last week first hour of a 4.5 hour ride was the Edge complaining "lost satellite reception". Today, I finally figured out that if I switched to GPS only from GLONASS, then it worked fine. Switched back to GLONASS and satellites lost. Same as Sil_17 above. I'm keeping it on GPS.  I am also on Software Version 15.20. Any ETA on a fix?  Thank you

• Had the same issue since Sunday.Was fine previously.

• I've just had the same problem with my EDGE 1000. Got to the end of a 5-hour ride and it 'lost satellites' for the last 10 minutes home. I'll have to try GPS only until the problem is fixed.

• This problem has been around for years. I just switched to GPS only and never looked back.

The problem always seems to start after a fw update but I don't think its the fw itself thats the issue but rather the update process.

Just plugging my edge 1000 into a computer and syncing with garmin connect fixed the issue for me when I first saw it years ago but then it came back on a subsequent fw update.

• No , it is not fw update related i bet. it just happen on a given day. so it could be :

#1 : GPS chipset firmware issue with Glonass sats /there is a test phase for a while for newer Glonass signals on specific Glonass satellite, so not on all, which will be able to interoperate with GPS signal in the future, the present Glonass signal has totally different coding, and when this satellite with test phase is just above you your 1K is getting mad, when not, you have no problem, it needs ~11,5hours to make a complete orbit circle  / maybe it , and need a GPS firmware fix for Edge1000's Mediatek gps chipset. I dont know how is the support of it, as i know, the Mediatek sold their independent GPS chipset section (which develop gps chipset for these Edge devices, gps navigators, etc) to a cheap chinese company to get more capacity to develop new SoC , chipsets for IoT , and for newer techs....

#2: the downloaded GPS files which help to get quicker reception (when you sync via BT or Wifi or GE, ) contain false/wrong empherisis and other values / datas on this given day and it causes the signal loss during a ride (or no reception already at start with +Glonass) because i experience it after such a sync on a given day (no problem before it or after it for a few day or for longer period)

• I've found recently since the last firmware update this issue is not just limited to the Edge 1000, my Edge 1030 has GPS issues on so far every longish cycle (3-4 hours).

I've tried both GPS+GLONASS and GPS+GALILEO. Yet to try GPS alone.