This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Navigate to nearest course point(not starting point)

Hi

I want to know if is possible to navigate with Edge 1030 to a point in a middle of loaded course 

Last week I was riding a loop then in the middle of the ride I decide to load another course that was somehow near to my location, but when I have load the course Garmin asked me to navigate to the start , I was closed to the half of the loaded corse 

• Yes, I do this on occasion.  If you choose to not navigate to the start of the course, the device will then do it's best to start the course from wherever you are located.  If you are actually on a section of the course it will determine that and pick right up and finish the navigation from that point.  If you are not on the course it'll do a "Off Course" warning if you have that notification turned on.  

• There is no option to navigate to the nearest point on a course.

You can have the units display the course in a chosen color (bright green works pretty well).

If you are far from the course, display it.

Then, drop a pin on the displayed course where you want to join it and create/save it as a location

You can then have the unit create a route to that location.

If you are close to the course, just ride over to it. 

• Thx For the info. Do you know if it is possible to see the direction of a loaded course? I never know which way to go. 

• If you use tcx or fit, the file will usually have "course points", which show as small icons at turns. The direction can be determined from those.

But "course points" are only displayed after loading the course for navigation.

You can drop a pin with the course loaded for navigation (you don't have to use the "display" approach)

• I think that is a good option to be implemented 

Aha , good idea to let the course displayed!

I was far from course and somehow I did not knew what was the right direction of the loaded course

I loaded the course and drop the pin but after that I did not knew exactly if I was in the right direction , I managed to do it, but I want to know what is the best option :)

• I had few months an Wahoo bolt , when course was loaded  it was show the direction for the loaded course with arrows if remember correctly 

• I did this last week. A colleague had a gpx file which was a loop. I created a course point at the lunch destination on the route using Garmin Connect I have a data field set to Distance to Course Point this counted down until the destination was reached.  

• I had that problem too.

Someone can tell me what happen when i load a particular "round-trip" route with the "one-way" (a to b segment) and the "way-back" (b to a segment) on the same road and i start to ride the route in the middle of it?

The device doesn't know if i wanto to go to A or B point...

Will the garmin accept both the directions i can choose or will it alert me with "off course" messages depending on my direction?

Thanks.

• The Garmin will pick up the course in whatever direction you are riding that section. It may report off course at first, but if you keep riding in one direction it will place you in on that part of the course that is travelling in that direction.

• Garmin fenix watches can do this  or use Edge (gpx files) data fields "Course Pt. Distance"
    The remaining distance to the next point on the course
    Can know the closest distance