This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Brand new cadence sensor doesn't work

Hi,

New to this forum. Just bought the Garmin Edge 1030 "Bundle". I set it up on my bike but neither my Speed nor my Cadence sensor could be detected by the Edge. After a lot of head scratching I tried changing the batteries. The good news is that this resolved the problem (although I do wonder why Garmin are selling products with completely flat batteries).

I then tried testing the sensors. The speed sensor works fine. However the cadence sensor refuses to work. It's brand new, it has a brand new battery (at my additional expense) but the Edge will not pick up a reading from it. It is connected to the Edge but when I turn the crank I get nothing. Cadence just remains blank.

So I thought I'd check Garmin's support. I went to their Garmin Bike Cadence Sensor Troubleshooting page where the advice was that it "may be necessary to rescan for the sensor" and to "reference your owners manual for more information to rescan". I then opened the owners manual from the Gramin website. The web version of the manual allows to to search for words in the manual. I searched for the word "rescan". Zero results.

I should be surprised but I've had Garmin products before... so I'm not.

Any advice anyone? 

• 2 options:

1. Remove the battery from the ANT+ accessory
    2. Leave the battery out of the accessory for 5 minutes
    3. Place the battery back into the accessory in the appropriate direction

Or, sometimes it helps to insert the battery upside down for a few seconds, to reset the sensor.

• did you do a "Search all" when pairing the cadence? I recall if you just select cadence when pairing some units won't pair. The manual states to use Search all for pairing.

• same problem with my brand new bundle (cadence sensor is not detected - even after switching battery with speed sensor that works)

• The metal harness that makes contact with the battery in the cap came out with the battery. This happened also with a previous purchase which I returned because it didn't work. Finally realized that replacing the harness without concern as to it's exact position did not allow for contact in the right place. This happened on two serial purchases, so it can't be that unusual. I recommend that purchasers be advised of the fix which would reduce returns and complaints.  You need to line up the harness in the cap with the contacts in the body.  There are three contacts, one of which must connect with a small copper connection.  If you line the harness up with that, and reinstall it might very well resolve problems. 

• Thank you ronwilliam1937 I  spent hours trying to figure out ,why my cadence sensor would not work after i replaced the old battery with a new one,I lined up the 3 cap harness with the copper connection,it worked right away.thank you .

• Thanks - I was about to bin my Garmin Cadence sensor and buy a new one when I came across your post.  Solved my problem within 5 minutes after hours of frustration.

• You are my hero, been struggling with this for sooooo long, but now finally got them both going 

Happy new year and thanks again

• My Duotrap S works with Edge 1030 when I search all for pairing. If I search only for cadence,  Duotrap S is paired but no cadence data... Amazing...

• Hi guys,

Im also struggling to get mine going after a battery change in cadence v2 sensor.

Can someone perhaps share pics of what is suggested in fixing the issue please

• Here you go.  With the battery out you can see the three metal prongs and the larger one on the other side.  There are grooves in the cap that allow them to fit in perfectly. I accidentally pulled the white sticker out (thinking it was supposed to be removed before working Face palm tone1‍)

but it still works now that I’ve lined them up how ronwilliams1937_ recommends.  Thank you Ron!