This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 1030 ear mounts broken

Ear mounts are broken off, how do I repair?

• My edge 1030 tabs broke off after 8 months.  After emailing and bitching to Garmin. Garmin decided  to replace it with a REFURBISHED One. 10 months  later broken tab again. This is an issue  Garmin Isn't  addressing. They have said they won't  cover  fiscal  damage. So dose that mean never take it off the mount. Maybe it's time for Garmin to step up Maybe start looking for a different company to do business with..Or do Consumers  need to file  class action suit 

www.dogearsgps.com

• I used Dog Ears on my Garmin 800 and they were as good if not better than the original ears. Second the recommendation

• Shortly after I bought my Edge 1030, Garmin announced the battery pack.  I bought one.  The battery pack comes with a different mount which uses a lever to clamp the Edge 1030 onto the mount.  I never have to twist the Edge 1030 to install or remove it.  (I bought two more of the special mounts to put on my other bikes.)

Once you have an Edge 1030 with an undamaged base, you might want to get one of these mounts as a preventive measure.  You can find them on the Garmin web site by looking at accessories for the Edge 1030.  I think Garmin charges $40 for them, but you can find them for less at retailers.

• My 1030 tabs started to crack and lose bits of plastic after a few months also (it also got a halo so Garmin had to replace it anyway fortunately). Considering my 800 (which has seen 10x the usage on the same mounts) and 820 (with 2x the amount of usage) didn't have this problem - is the 1030 just too big and heavy for the tabs, or did Garmin reduce the quality of the plastic used?

It may be unrelated but I've also noticed that the fit of the units on the flush out front mount feels much more secure than the old stem mounts (there's more of a discernible 'click') - so it could also be that the new mounts are putting extra strain on them to achieve that?

• Hello - I also want to chime in.  I bought my edge 1030 in January 2019.  Same problem as others report - with the tabs breaking off in June 2019.  Garmin replaced the device in June 2019 as is was still under warranty.  The customer service rep acknowledged the problem in a subtle manner but the Company does not acknowledge it.   The replacement device tabs failed on 265 miles of riding this weekend on CA Highway 1 (which is poorly paved in a lot of sections and a lot of vibration to device).   I again talked to Garmin rep.  This guy would not acknowledge it as a issue and stuck to his corporate scripts.  There is nothing they are willing do since it is out of warranty, and they fraudulently deny the issue.  I asked him about the dog ears and he said that he had not heard any complaints or issues about the dogearsgps repair plate product causing damage to the 1030 device when installed according to the directions.  

• I dog eared my 800 and they lasted several years of use

• Just want to pitch that my Edge 1030 has at least 25,000km, some on the road, lots of gravel and some mountain biking. I have no issue whatsoever with the mount and never broke it despite a few crashes. So for those breaking it I can only suggest you check you setup. Of course a crash is a crash and *** can happen  but if your edge get damage just with regular riding it seems there may be something with your installation. I use proper  out front mounts on all bikes, very rarely do I use the cheap mount with the elastic bands. I have a hard time subscribing  to the theory the the mount is weak, unless some batches have a bad plastic or something like that. 

• I use a "proper" out front mount.  No crashes.  My Edge 510, which I still have and use on gravel bike has never been a problem.  Perhaps 510 has better quality plastic.  But in any case, for the price that Garmin charges for the Edge products, they should be durable enough to work on a range of different commercially available mounts. 

• Do you use a Garmin mount ? . Gamin mounts are made of plastic. Some other mounts are made of metal. I would rather have the harder material on the Edge not the mount so if one wear the other, the mount will wear faster. You cannot expect Garmin to test other brand's mount.