This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 1030?

I´m thinking about buying an edge 1030, but the processor of the current one is still quite slow. So I wonder if anyone knows when there will be an upgraded 1030 – like the 830/20.

• The 1030 doesn't have all the features of the 830.  From a product range perspective that is a clear issue - absolutely certain that Garmin will want their flagship model to have all the features of the lesser model; and some extras...  Clearly a matter of time - hopefully not much time!

• I don't know anything about the features the 830 has over the 1030. From what I have seen in the large group that I ride with, the 1030 was selected due to the larger screen. Yes, I ride with a bunch of old guys. My 1030 replaced my 705 because of the screen size. The 705 worked fine but the screen was way too small. Whatever the 830 has over the 1030, I'm sure very few riders use those features.

• The 1030 firmware has been updated with pretty much all the features introduced with the 830. The one thing missing the is mountain biking Trailforks map. You can use the CIQ Trailfork app but that is different. You can get a very detailed comparison of the devices on the DC Rainmaker website, although with firmware updates some differences he mention are no more. 

• Currently the key advantages of the 830 are what has already been mentioned

• Better quality screen
    • Faster CPU
    • Trailforks
    • Better battery life

plus one extra firstbeat feature

• Respiration rate

Not sure of any others.

• I wan't to buy a 1030 because no power meter capability on my explorer. But has the 1030 a real time gradient data screen?

• I do not know about battery life but all other stuffs are better on 830 except one, GPS signal.

For mountain biking head unit it work terrible in the forest. Main reason i returned one and i got Edge 1030. And no, GARMIN did not fixed the problem with updates and my opinion is it is a hardware problem (very bad SONY chip).
    Also i am fed up with bu**s**t coming from all does YOUTUBE "experts" (Lama, DC-rain***ker) saying this or that is a great unit but never did proper testing.

• What do you mean by realtime gradient ? The terrain incline ? The 1030 have an altimeter built-in which I don't think is present in other models. With it yes the unit computes and can display a grade datafield which is the terrain incline in %. It is reasonably accurate. On units without an altimeter this data field is based on the DEM map and that is very inaccurate for that purpose.

• The 1030 has a barometer, which measures air pressure. It’s not strictly an altimeter. 

In any case, many of the Edges have a barometer. 

The ancient 500 has a barometer. And Edge (with a number in the name) numerically larger (and later) has one too. 

The 705 has one (the 605 did not). The Touring/Explore models don’t.

======================

I don’t believe the DEM map is used to determine elevation for a ride (a recorded activity). The measured elevation is just based on GPS data. Garmin Connect can “correct” the elevation using DEM data (later). It does this by default for devices that don’t have barometers, which indicates Garmin sees the elevation determined using barometers as more accurate.

• Hi Martin,

I meant a a real % of the road. Not calculated by a loaded route. Sorry but my English is very bad. If I'm riding a road who raises 10m on100m cycling, I want to see that the gps is telling me 10% gradient on the screen just by cycling a course.

Do you understand what I mean? Garmin replied me already that this is a function on the 1030.

There's also a temperature meter in it and I can connect power meter. Training assist also onboard so I decided to buy one.

Best regards, Bossi

• Add to the list

• Smaller bezels same screen size
    • Thinner
    • Solar charging (like in the fenix 6x)

I can't see them not adding the solar charging. It makes so much sense on a bike computer Vs a watch and they have/own the technology