This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 1030?

I´m thinking about buying an edge 1030, but the processor of the current one is still quite slow. So I wonder if anyone knows when there will be an upgraded 1030 – like the 830/20.

• No-one knows. We only know that the average time between model upgrades (e.g. from 1000 to 1030) is approx 3 years. The 1030 was released in Q3-2017. So we might expect a successor around Q3-2020.

• The CPU may be slower in the 1030 but it does the job. Takes awhile to calculate a route but much faster than the models before the 1030. Other than that, I have no issues with its speed.

• Garmin shouldn’t be working on a 1030 successor until they can fix all the numerous bugs/issues with the 1030 in my opinion!  Once they solve all those problems then they should think about a replacement, otherwise the same issues will just carryover to the new model from the 1030. 

• Cry unfortunately it is true the opposite. If you have a faulty device, and very difficult to fix, it is better and more simple to redesign and replace it with a new one model. I bought an Edge 1030 at the day one, I returned it, the first 6 month was a nightmare.

I used other devices (Wahoo Elmnt, Edge 520, ...) for 1 year but I've come back to the Edge 1030 because of the integration with sensors and devices (power meter, fenix 5, other online platform) and navigation features are the best.

So now I'm using an Edge 1030, and I know that it is full of bug and that I can't use Live Track all the day, that I need to restart Garmin Connect 2/3 times a day. And I also know that is an Edge 1030 problem because with my Fenix 5 I'm having ZERO issues, all is perfect.

Garmin engineer are not stupid but if after 2 year they have so many problem to fix with a so great device it means that, and it happens, they are to difficult to be fixed. So I imagine that it would be more easy to move their forces silently to a new device.

• I noticed that the Edge 1030 has been reduced to $392 on Amazon. A clear sign that a newer version is coming soon.

• I hope so -- after years of use I just had the dreaded power button failure yesterday. The Edge 1030 seems too out of date to buy now, and despite all of the problems with my 1000 over the years, the Wahoo line just doesn't seem to offer as much.

• be sure that during covid19 no new edge will be released 

• If there's a new unit, they are probably ready to be shipped to sellers, many of whom sell online.

If the price of the 1030 was dropped to clear-out the remaining units, then there aren't going to be many of those to sell.

So, while the number-sold of a new unit sold be lower due to COVID, it's not zero (the result of not releasing it).

Garmin dropped the price of the 1030 after the COVID thing started. Even though the plans for that were made long before that, they might have been able to change their mind.

• I don't know what additional features could be offered in a new model other than a faster processor. I don't think I use even half of the 1030"s features. But, there's always someone who wants the latest and the greatest.