This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Galileo or GLONASS? Which is more accurate?

The 1030 gives 3 GPS options: GPS, GPS+GLONASS and GPS+Galileo. I know that the European Galileo system is now fully operational. I had used GPS+GLONASS in the past. Which is the best system for accuracy and what is the hit on battery life if any for the bump in accuracy?

• For GPS+galileo to be offered you also need to update the GPS chipset firmware - it is a separate update from the Edge firmware. I think you must use Connect Express on a computer to update the GPS chipset. Look in the forum and you should find info on what version is latest and how to get it. That GPS chipset firmware added Galileo support to  the hardware and it is needed for the Edge to offer that option.

• Edge 1030 for sale since ~ sept 2019 fully supports GPS+GALILEO without update or firmware update.

Whatever the network, public applications cannot display an accuracy below ~1 m. In addition the trace (path) on the map depends on the software quality installed on the GPS. Garmin rekon among the best (there are some review of edge 1030 on the Internet showing traces calculated by various GPS)

• Thanks. Soon I start to understand how the update works. New device has new firmware with galileo support. 

Köszi szépen, lassan kezdem érteni hogyan is megy a telepítés. Az új eszköz új fw-rel van, így megúsztam. 

• btw what is your TSC firmware number in the copyright info?  TSC 85.11.0 or TSC 86.04.00 or maybe newer, just for my curiosity?

• I have Edg 1030 for long time and now is in version 9. Still i don't have the option of Galileo. In Garmin Express there are 4 updates available that always fail to install. they are:

1- Routable Cycle map of Europe  2019.10

2- Time Zone Map

3- GPS Software V 2.50

4- Other Items (Change Log)

I think some files are corrupted in the Edge and so they can't be updated, but not sure. What do you think I must do in order to have at least the last Europe maps and the GPS Software?

regards,

Miguel

• @MCllhavo 

I had some corrupted files on my 1030 and was not able to update, too.

I run CHKDSK on a WIN-PC. This finds corrupted files and restores the filesystem.

Connect your Edge to a WIN PC, wait for connection. Don‘t open the Device (let‘s say X:) - stay on C:

Tap on the WIN-start-button bottom-left. On the command line type in:

CHKDSK /f X:\Garmin

• Thanks. Will do it later and will post the results.

• Hi again,

It worked and now I have Galileo and new maps!  :)

Thanks!

I used a different PC where i installed Gamrin Express from scratch. In it I also ran chkdsk and it reported the disk had no errors...

After that I installed the Maps and the other updates.

I am happy with it now, although I think the process should be more automatic.

Thank you and great cycling!

• GPS / GLONASS / GALILEO watches always use 4 satellites from the same system (either GPS or  GALILEO or GLONASS), regardless of the number of available satellites. That is, there is no complementarity between the two systems, but a choice between one or the other.

Adding GLONASS or GALILEO capability in addition to GPS can improve the accuracy of a trace. But not as you might imagine. In fact, at each position record, the watch searches for GPS satellites and GLONASS or GPS and GALILEO satellites and chooses one of the two systems (the one from which it receives the best signals) to position itself.

So, we understand that the improvement will not be as interesting as marketers would have us believe:

GPS fix may be faster
    there will be less stall
    but the intrinsic precision will not be improved
    the consumption of the watch will be increased because it analyzes the signals of the two systems