This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is the point of having a garmin forums site when no one from garmin every answers any questions? LIKE WTF? What is the *&#$ing POINT!

So I am reading tons of threads here and on the garmin 945 forum and all I see mainly is customers answering customers with best guess's.  I appreciate that this is a community and we are here to help each other out....  But Ive bought this year a garmin 1030, Varia radar, fenix 5x, forerunner 945 and a forerunner 245.  ALL of these items have issues from annoying to down right un *&&#ing safe.  I think with spending a few $1000.00 something would work.

Why the hell is there nobody from garmin answering our questions?

When is android bluetooth compatibility going to work and when will my phone stay connected?

When will my 1030 edge and my 945 have the same metrics so they are not screwing each other up?

When will my 1030 get the same features as a 530 that cost 1/2 as much?

When will the varia radar stop disconnecting from my edge and turning the varia light solid so that its not flashing and almost pointless to have?

When will incident detection work so my family will know that I'm dead because the varia disconnected, the light went solid and I got hit.  I'm now lying dead in the ditch.  It would be nice that somebody would be notified so they can call a meat wagon and scrape me off the road.

When will garmin stop screwing over there customers and fix *** that has not worked in 2 years?  And why the hell am I going to wait another year for features that cheaper devices already have?  I could have returned this 1030 inside the return window and got an 830 that might have resolved all these issues. Instead I was told they would be coming "SOON" and now we've swapped out a varia and gone to a edge 1030 from a bontrager 1030 and the same stuff is happening.

• This is basically a user forum. Sometimes a Garmin Representative will respond but this is not the norm. If you have problems then you need to call (not email) Garmin Support. The problem you have are not common problems and I'm sure tech support can help you.

• Ive called, and called, People are great there. But they don't have the answers to the above problems and they cant fix the above problems. 

• I doubt that incident detection will ever work properly. It is too dependent on cell phone coverage. I've used the Road ID app which has a feature that if you are stopped for more than five minutes, it will send a text to your contacts. It too is dependent on cell phone coverage but does seem to work better than the Garmin system. I have no problems with the 1030 disconnecting from the Iphone.

I've never had my Varia disconnect. It has always worked perfectly. I don't like the low volume of the alerts but that is due to my poor hearing.

The 1030 will have the features of the new units. Give Garmin a little more time.

Overall, I have not found a bike computer that has the features of the Garmin and if you look at the forums for Wahoo and other companies, you will find that their products also have plenty of problems.

• As others stated, this is a user to user forum. 

To make it easier for everyone, try to start or chime in on a thread per issue. I know it can be frustratibg with Garmin, but nothing comes close when it comes go features anyway. Last week I was so tired of my issues with the Edge 1030 so I ordered a rugged Android phone to replace it. Many people on other forums where happy with  that model of phone. First ride with it and it could not connect reliably to my pulse band (works perfect with my main phone, iPhone). The display where total crap in sunlight, maps where displayed way to thin to be usable at arms lenght at speed so I am back to my Edge 1030, which in contrast works really well displaying a map and recording HR data etc. 

With Garmin products they usually becomes really usable after 1-2 years into product updates, sometimes never at all. Asking questions about future updates is kind of meaningless, development takes time and effort and is not easy. Now with the much needed bashing from dc rainmaker we can hope they will start fixing some of the most alarming bugs, but I guess that it will sometimes crash during a long ride anyway. It will never be as reliable and stable as an iPhone.

• You hit the nail! 

Garmin devices simply offer much more possibilities than others. And many "errors", which are often described, do not occur with my 1030 (BT is stable, sensors are stable...)
    I always find it childish when people defiantly praise the Wahoo Elment and threaten to change. If the Elment is sufficient, then these people don't need a Garmin Edge anyway.

• O. K., I wish that Garmin products were « perfect ». Being a long time user (705, 800, 1000 abd 1030), I know by experience, the're not. If I keep using them, it's because, for me, they do the job : TBT indications when I travel in Canada, USA and Europe, plus, now my phone is connected and working with my remote. I can exchange files with another 1030 or 1000... but not always on first try. I don't suffer freezes on rides or on saving transferts like some mentionned. I feel the « blue halo » effect is starting to show. I still cannot put My Virtual Partner to sleep forever. Sure, I did 2 or 3 resets my Edge. Would I tell a friend to buy one? Yes, after more than a year of updates, the Edge is getting there. But I do have resent that Garmin take his clients for beta testers like they did with us on the 1030.

• Garmin is like that since ever .. absolutely terrible in communicating with users and clients.

• I wouldn't confirm that. After all, official Garmin mods have been coming up for a year now, expressing their regrets, sometimes sending a pm, but mostly recommending support contact. They can't do more than that - the problem lies with the software department and the lack of supervision.

•  - I will do my best to address most of your questions in this thread and in doing so I am also going to close it. For individual issues please create the corresponding threads.

Why the hell is there nobody from garmin answering our questions? As most have stated below this is generally a user to user conversation. We use the forum gather information on specific issues and gather feedback from individuals. This communication is not always directly on the forum and many times we contact customers directly.

When is android bluetooth compatibility going to work and when will my phone stay connected? This is a very generic question without further details about your phone and when it is disconnecting. Mixed in with long posts such as this does not help with any kind of information exchange. Generally these types of inquiries will go unanswered.

When will my 1030 edge and my 945 have the same metrics so they are not screwing each other up? We are aware of this problem and this will be fixed in a future software update planned for August.

When will my 1030 get the same features as a 530 that cost 1/2 as much? We are committed to supporting our customers and our flagship device and are always working to add features to improve our products.  We don’t have a timeline to share but plan to add the features we can to the Edge 1030 sometime this summer.

When will the varia radar stop disconnecting from my edge and turning the varia light solid so that its not flashing and almost pointless to have? We are looking into what is causing this problem. However I do not have any kind of implementation date for this and I apologize for that. Some users have attributed it to volume of traffic that causes the disconnect. Here is a link to that conversation. https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/varia-series/157700/radar-disconnected/873952#873952

When will incident detection work so my family will know that I'm dead because the varia disconnected, the light went solid and I got hit.  I'm now lying dead in the ditch.  It would be nice that somebody would be notified so they can call a meat wagon and scrape me off the road.  Incident detection is not dependent on your Varia Radar and there is no correlation with the disconnects with that sensor and Incident Detection not working. The phone disconnection that you experience is more likely the cause of the incident detection. However, I would have a few questions about how it is 'not working'. This should not take place here. Please create a new post for the incident detection not working. Please include how are you testing incident detection in that thread.