This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disable recalculation completely

Is it possible to completely disable recalculation when riding a course file on the Edge 1030?

For years I have been using a program (Garminator) I wrote myself to create TCX course files. On the Edge 1030 I drop them in the NewFiles folder and after switching on the device it converts them to fit files in the Courses folder.
This program takes into account the NASA Aster GDEM Digital Elevation Map to determine the altitude at each point of the track. It also uses the yr.no website to determine the expected wind speed and direction at each point (in time and space) of the track. I input my own weight and that of my bike and gear combined and the average watts I push. Also the descent style can be adjusted using a slider from Turkey to Falcon. Like this I get a very accurate ETA for my course. On older Edge devices the ETA was based on the virtual training partner of the course file. Comes in handy when I want to catch a train or ferry.

Unfortunately the Edge 1030 is always recalculating, (especially when switching to a different course mid ride), draining the battery and messing with my (almost) perfect ETA.
Please make it possible in a firmware upgrade to get rid of the auto recalculating and get back my course file based ETA.
  • It should be a setting under the navigation options in the activity profile.

Activity Profiles -> The profile you want to change -> Navigation -> Routing -> Recalculation (Prompted/Automatic/Off)
  • I have raised this issue previously but it seems that Garmin is not interested in fixing it. There have been several firmware releases with partial fixes but the problem remains. Doing the obvious
    Activity Profiles -> The profile you want to change -> Navigation -> Routing -> Recalculation (Prompted/Automatic/Off) does not stop the recalculation. I have recently found that turning off the "Öff course alerts" option as well does prevent the recalculation. This is less than ideal as the off course notifications are useful. Other models that I have used behave in a more predictable way. You can turn off recalculation and still have the off course warnings.
  • Thanks for the answers. Indeed set the activity profile recalculation to off does not change anything. The device continues to recalculate. Often I start my rides from a railway station where I don't know the way. When selecting a course at my starting point, the Garmin starts to recalculate the route. This takes a lot of time. During this time the map screen showing where I am is not updated. The arrow remains where it started. This is most annoying. The same thing happens when I change course mid route. The arrow remains frozen, while the device is recalculating. The only thing that helps is swipe to a different screen like elevation or data screen, and swipe back to map. Then the arrow gets updated on the map but remains frozen again until another swipe and back or it finishes recalculating which seems to take even longer at a mid way course change than at the start of the course. Having to swipe all the time is dangerous. Especially in the busy traffic near railway stations.

I will try switching off off-course alerts on my next ride on Saturday. Hope it will help. Thanks for all the help.

BTW if anybody from Garmin cares to reply it might help to know that I am using OpenFietsMap Europe and not the Garmin Map on my device. I use Garmin Mapsource to plan a ride on OpenFietsMap Europe and use my own software Garminator to turn it in a TCX course file. TCX course files are based on XML so it was easy for me to find out how to create them myself. FIT fiels on the other hand are binary. Can you provide a description of the fit file format so I can write them myself and there will be no more need for the Garmin to drain its battery converting the TCX files to FIT files?
  • +1 for any help regarding any hint how to make the "recalculation off” option do what is supposed to do (stop recalculation). Thanks,

• You have to turn off "off-course" alerts, which, while losing you that useful functionality, at least stops the recalculation. But it's shocking that after literally YEARS of people complaining that turning off recalculation doesn't, ahem, actually turn it off, that Garmin still hasn't either acknowledged or fixed this problem.

• When you load a course & select ride the Garmin is Calculating the course not Recalculating 

What this means is the Garmin is taking the course file you have loaded and is creating the TBT prompts it will use for navigation. The downside is it also changes the total height gain of the course based on its own internal DEM map. 

The only way to prevent the calculation is to disable turn guidance in the navigation settings  Then you have to set the course you want to use to always display in its settings

You will get the course displayed as a permanent thin line on the map, you won't get TBT and you will have to leave the map displayed so that you can manually follow your course 

Thr Recalculation setting only affects what the Garmin does when you go off-course, disabling it has no effect on the initial calculation stage

There's nothing to stop you loading the course and starting the calculation well before you start your ride just don't select navigate to start. Once it's done you can put the Garmin to sleep & turn it on again when you are ready to go. Once it gets a GPS fix you should get your TBT without interruption 

• Thank you. I fully agree with you. The "off course" warnings are a useful feature when following a course. I am also complaining about this issue around these forums since I first bought this unit in September 2016. What makes me crazy is that my previous units (an Edge 800 and later a Touring Plus) worked flawlessly on this regard. I made more than 10,000Km with my older units following courses with manual waypoints without major issues. And even with the 820, I was able to make it work more less OK until version 3 or 4 of the firmware (in spite of several crashes). After that, the behaviour became cahotic. Unhappily, I sold both the 800 and the Touring to buy the (then expensive) 820, never imagining that such "upgrade" would make me lose my most used features :-).  But, more than that, what puzzles me is that I cross these forums and I find that this bug is now spread along all Edge families (520plus/830/1030), leaving all of us  without options than buy an old second hand unit (or other brand). It does not make any sense! 

• I'm thinking you're missing the point -- or at least my point. We all agree that if you turn on Turn Guidance, your Garmin unit is going to calculate the route with TBT directions. The complaint I (and, I think, others) have, is that IF you leave that determined route AFTER you have started riding -- your unit will begin recalculating the route to try to get you back to the previously calculated route -- EVEN IF YOU HAVE "RECALCULATION" TURNED OFF. Leaving aside that the algorithm invariably tries to get you back on course by making a u-Turn (which almost no bicyclist wants to do -- instead you want to rejoin your course at a later point), turning off Recalculation ought to have an impact on this behavior, and it doesn't. As best as I can tell, it does exactly nothing. Turning it to Prompted is worse in a way, because it will keep popping up the prompts, which you then have to manually dismiss, the whole time you're off course.

• Hi. I may have missed the point then I guess sorry. The information the OP gave suggested it was maybe a misinterpretation of the calculating stage he was seeing not recalculating especially when changing courses mid ride

I have recalculation turned off on my 1030 & don't experience the 're'calculation issue you are seeing. If I start with a route or change a route mid ride it will calculate the route but no recalculation. Sometimes it will calculate the route twice for some reason but never displays recalculating

Are you using the Road Cycling Routing Mode in your Activity Profile?

• My bad. I actually have the Edge Explore 1000 -- whose forum has disappeared. It was only the most recent firmware update on that device -- 9.30 -- that introduced this bug, along with actual release notes saying it was IMPROVING recalculation. So I'm guessing Garmin hasn't seen fit to introduce the bug to the 1030 yet, you lucky folks! I wonder how the 530/830 will handle recalculation?