This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No map visible on map screen

I perhaps foolishly updated my maps on the Edge 1030 a couple of weeks ago. Only just used it today for a ride(not following a course) and the map screen just shows an arrow-no map detail whatsoever. Also when I go to either save or delete the ride, nothing happens when I press the buttons. If I then plug it into my computer, the ride uploads and shows my route ok. If I load a course on the device, the map shows, but if I just go on a ride, no map is visible. Whats that all about?? I contacted Garmin support who advised to reinstall the maps. I did that and 50 painful minutes later it had completed but the problem is still there. I am now seriously regretting continuing with Garmin (had an Edge 810 and upgraded as it had become unreliable) This device is no longer fit for purpose unless this can be resolved! Any tips??
  • As a follow on to this. I put the sd card from my old Edge 810 into the 1030 and hey presto a map now appears on my map screen!! I took the sd card out and nope, still no map displaying on the map screen when using the preloaded and updated Garmin maps.....So, I can use it with the old sd card or use my old 810. What a waste of over £400......
  • Same now happened to me twice on a brand new Edge Explore. Updated software and maps and then no map - nor will it download routes I have made on the web corse creator. Returned it as faulty, got a new one, updated again and ended up with another brick. 

• I cant see or enable maps on my Edge 1030. The map files is in the Garmin folder, but I cant choose them in navigation. What is wrong?

• Are you talking about Garmin Maps? If so, try to reload via Garmin Express... might help.

• I have the same problem I reported to Garmin they replace the unit and it was fine but after installing my phones sd card etc etc I swich on the device and the maps disappear again :/ does anyone know how to fix this? 

• The same issues on Garmin 1030. With latest updates, I tried to reload maps, it helped before switching ON course.

• FWIW, I have a new (as of 5/9/20) 1030 (Bontrager version) and was on a ride yesterday and I scrolled to the MAP: screen. I started seeing my path and bodies of water, but nothing else (at least I saw lines and ponds - no roads). There was a short period when I THINK that messing with that hand icon would bring a map up. More messing and it would go away. Then the map was gone no matter what I did so I rode for another 5 minutes doing nothing.

I pulled off the side of the road to see if I could figure it out. I looked down and I had maps again and have not seen them disappear since then. I have not updated the software (I am running "Software Version 7.5 per 'ABOUT' on my device.

dave

• What you see is the basemap, which is always ON but not useful for navigation, just to locate yourself when you zoom way out. Go to an activity profile, then Navigation, Map, and when you see the list of loaded map, one should be called something like "... Garmin Cycling Map ..."  exact name depend on the region you live in. Make sure it ENABLED. If it is not enabled, enable it. If it is not there, you need to install it. If it is enabled and installed but it does not work, I recommend reinstalling it with the computer Connect Express app which has on option for that. I also discourage you from trying to put this on an SD card, leave in in the main storage area. The Edge 1030 has 16GB which is plenty and render SD cards pretty much useless anyway. Also keep in mind the map settings are per Activity Profile and not global, so make sure you check the profile you actually use...