This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My list of issues

A short introduction: I pre-owned the Edge 800, 810, and 1000. Now I upgraded to the 1030, not because I thought I would need the new features, but because the power button of my edge 1000 broke down. My first impression of the 1030 is that it's a nice device, but not so different to the 1000. I like the new look and feel and the bigger screen. The navigation features are pretty much similar to the old one. After a week of usage I have the following issues:

- Edge remote does not work smoothly. In fact it's useless in combination with the Edge 1030. Most of the Time it does not respond. Sometimes it does, but only for short time. This is highly irritating.

- On my iPhone in the bluetooth functionality, I only see the Edge 1030 connected during activities, but the BT_Edge 1030 is not. The only way to solve this is to disconnect the device from the iPhone and install it again. But after 1 ride, same problem again. I think this is the reason that I don't get any text messages and don't see other people from my group in the group track functionality. UPDATE: issue still there, but I found out that when I tick on the Edge1030 and BT_Edge 1030 on my iphone (in configuration menu, bluetooth), sometimes it connects. But it should connect automatically, and it doesn't do that.

- NEW issue (related to bluetooth issue): activities don't upload directly after finishing them.

- I downloaded a heartrate zone app on the device (from Garmin), where I can see my heartrate zones. After changing the values of the standard zones (and synced in Garmin express), the new zones did not appear on the device.

- Question: do the heart rate zones (and the way I define them) have influence on the vales of ''training effect'' and ''recovery time'' and ''calories burnt''? Or does Garmin has its own definition of this (regardless of my training zones)?

- The data field ''avg speed'' shows the speed in miles per hour, although my device has been set up in the ''kilometer'' format. The actual speed I see is (as should be) in km/hour. Only the avg speed field is not correct.

- NEW issue: Wifi sign blinks often, it does not stay connected, sometimes it picks the signal up and is connected, but only for a few seconds.

- NEW issue: livetrack does not work, tried it a few times, one time it started, but abrubtly stopped again during the ride.

Will add new issues when I notice them.
  • Ref Bluetooth 'lack of connectivity', it's becoming very annoying now and frankly getting fed up with un pair, pair, un pair, pair procedures. Something has happened in a previous software because earlier this year I could complete a ride, stop/save/tick etc and instantly it was on Garmin Connect and subsequently Strava. No longer is this the case. Now I have found the only way to get it to 'upload' is stop/save/tick, and then power off the Edge 1030. Then turn it on again and it has synched. Really? Is this what I have to do every time? It's a bit pants really...
  • I gave up auto uploading with bluetooth with the edge 1030 and use the wifi option, which works every time and fast. I used my old 810 today and auto uploading with bluetooth worked flawlessly. Something is really defective with the bluetooth of the 1030.
  • A short introduction: I pre-owned the Edge 800, 810, and 1000. Now I upgraded to the 1030, not because I thought I would need the new features, but because the power button of my edge 1000 broke down. My first impression of the 1030 is that it's a nice device, but not so different to the 1000. I like the new look and feel and the bigger screen. The navigation features are pretty much similar to the old one. After a week of usage I have the following issues:
    - Edge remote does not work smoothly. In fact it's useless in combination with the Edge 1030. Most of the Time it does not respond. Sometimes it does, but only for short time. This is highly irritating.
    - On my iPhone in the bluetooth functionality, I only see the Edge 1030 connected during activities, but the BT_Edge 1030 is not. The only way to solve this is to disconnect the device from the iPhone and install it again. But after 1 ride, same problem again. I think this is the reason that I don't get any text messages and don't see other people from my group in the group track functionality.
    - I downloaded a heartrate zone app on the device (from Garmin), where I can see my heartrate zones. After changing the values of the standard zones (and synced in Garmin express), the new zones did not appear on the device.
    - Question: do the heart rate zones (and the way I define them) have influence on the vales of ''training effect'' and ''recovery time'' and ''calories burnt''? Or does Garmin has its own definition of this (regardless of my training zones)?

Will add new issues when I notice them.

How about this. I checked connect after todays ride keen to see where I now sit on the leaderboards having set 6 new pb's that I knew of, only to find that 3 weren't there but are on the 1030 and show those segments. So I delete the ride from connect and import the fit file only to see the same summaries. Getting text notifications on the 1030 is impossible unless connect is running. Like you I'm sick and tired of pairing and repairing - sometimes with different results but always a frequent lack of connectivity even though the 1030 specifically says the phone is connected.

UPDATE: So the corrupted fit file can't be fixed and still is available for upload. The whole thing appears illogical eg a segment missing from Saturday's upload is retained in the segment list and wrongly shows my pb as 7 July ride, but shows last ride as 18/8 and with ave speed as >0.5mph better than 7 July which is what I saw on the completed seg screen. The 1030 has no record of another seg which is on my phone and shows correctly on Connect (PC).
    So why does the 1030 keep chewing up Segments (doing it since day1) and I'm guessing performance is included in the activity fit file which is how it gets into connect. Because the seg is not on the 1030 I get no display which was a big distraction, but now I prioritise safety over trying to work out whats happened now with the 1030. I'm sick of discovering yet more problems and believe there must be something wrong with the unit eg a corrupted disk which causes it to write fail rather than eat data. But with so many problems eg connectivity, Express sometimes needing uninstallation prior to update, its hard to know what is right.
  • Connectivity problems post ride. I have tried everything possible to get my ride to upload wirelessly and end up stuck with nothing. If I then try to upload manually rather than automatically the Garmin Connect Mobile app gets stuck on busy. Yesterday I was advised by Nicholas to apply the latest update which included a 3 hour map upload having been assured that this would fix the problem.
    Tried it again today and no change so I deleted the Garmin Connect Mobile App then reinstalled and the activity uploaded. This problem has been going on ever since I first used the Edge 1030. My previous Edge 800, 810 and 1000 all sync'd without an issue and using iPhone 5S.

Both the 1030 and the phone show connected but refuse to sync. This is becoming a tedious and frustrating bore and I'm now forced to connect using a cable to avoid the trawling through the app disconnect and reconnect. Both phone and Edge have the latest software???

If Garmin insist that they are unaware of any Edge 1030 connectivity problems they obviously do not study the forums, which are saturated with negatives. My experience with the Customer Support network has been totally pointless. I am no tech expert but why should I have to be? I don't have to be a technician to drive my car!